Thursday, October 18, 2007

No babies!

I turned 26 years old on Saturday, October 13, 2007. Turning 26 has brought some interesting points to the forefront, mostly regarding procreation and my lack thereof. I can no longer use the excuse "we're too young" or "we only just got married". So since I still don't want to have children (at this age, at least), I need a new excuse. The reasons why I don't want to have children are entirely immature and selfish:

  • I don't want to give up binge drinking for 9 months.
  • I don't want to be pregnant for the 2 weddings I'm in this spring, especially since I have already bought gorgeous dresses for them.
  • I have no desire to spend my used-to-be-free-time caring for another completely helpless individual.
  • I like our office just the way it is.
  • I like sushi.
  • I like going where I want, when I want.
  • I like our financial situation at the moment.
And on and on. Somehow, "I like sushi" doesn't seem like a valid reason to state aloud. And I can just imagine the look on some extended family members' faces were I to tell them I'm too immature and selfish. On second thought, I think I'll go for that. That should shut 'em up.

7 comments:

Tim said...

you're just repressing the fact that you really want a baby with all these lame superficial excuses.

JP said...

These excuses are as acceptable as any. Essentially, they boil down to, "I don't want to rearrange my generally pleasing lifestyle for the sake of a squalling poop factory."

freya said...

I guess I can also use the excuse "My husband thinks babies are nothing more than 'squalling poop factories'."

Anonymous said...

Not selfish... SMART! :-) You'd be selfish if you decided to have a child because you think they're cute.

Hold on to your free time as long as you can, I say! Once you go there, there's no getting it back!

(This is Kristina, btw- even though Yahoo will call me anonymous)

Katy said...

i wonder why you said you don't want to give up "binge" drinking for nine months. are you going to be one of those moms who slowly sips a mickeys through a straw throughout pregnancy? i hope i will be!

Unknown said...

Those don't sound like "excuses" so much as "valid reasons".

But seriously, Mickey's through a straw?? Shock horror! Everyone knows that pregnant women need the iron from a pint of Guinness, not the squalid, vitaminless embrace of wide-mouthed malt liquor! (Which is neither here nor there, given your list.)

Wonder Woman said...

Sushi...that one made me laugh.
But in all honesty, those are not excuses. Those are the truth. Why have a squalling poop factory if you are not ready?