Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kinda fail?

Yesterday and today was the 24 hour readathon at Joseph Beth's Booksellers. It started at 5pm, and the point was to read until you 1) couldn't anymore and decided to leave or 2) fell asleep. Every 2 hours, we had a 15 minute break and every 6 hours, there was a 45 minute break. There were only 7 of us that started the night, curled up in comfy chairs with pillows and blankets.

Warning: The next paragraph contains some mild spoilers to the Twilight saga. If you know nothing about it and would like to keep it that way, just skip it.

I started by finishing the book I was reading, Neil Gaiman's book of short stories, Smoke and Mirrors (which is highly recommended, by the way). Then, it was on to Twilight. I have been sitting on the Twilight saga for months now, saving it for the readathon. No matter the complaints I've heard, everyone says it is at least captivating. This is true, I suppose. I certainly didn't find it more captivating than Harry Potter, but it did keep me awake the whole night through. I only got to halfway through Eclipse (the third of four, no spoilers, please!), and please don't flame me for this, but I think I desperately hate Edward Cullen. I feel he embodies everything about young love that deserves criticism, and that there is a clear distinction between protecting people you love and being an overwielding, control-freak maniac. Plus, does no one else find it creepy that a 104 year old wants to date a 17 year old? I know Bella is supposed to be an "old soul", and that he *looks* 17, but c'mon.

My book choices aside, I started the evening with a sinus headache. JP was supposed to visit during my first 45 minute break at 11:30 and bring me meds, but it turned out they locked us in while the store was closed. We could only leave for cigarette breaks out the back. I was annoyed because I had been told that people could visit for breaks. I made it until 7 am before I asked someone for something for the pain, and as soon as my headache went away (around 8:15), I passed out. BOOO! I really wish that I had tried to deal with it long before then because I feel that without the headache, I could have pushed through.

I did make it for 15.5 hours, though. This means I raised $145.87 for my charity, Beginning with Books. And I read 1,456 pages. I don't remember the last time I read for more than an hour straight, let alone read a book cover to cover. That part was really amazing. The other amazing part was sitting with 6 other people who were content to do the same. I've been thinking that maybe I will sponsor my own readathon, just for fun. We can put down air mattresses and all hang out and read for an evening. Even after this binge, right now, I think I'm going to go pick Eclipse up again.

I also appreciate the fact that this has helped me with the second ever New Year's resolution that I will have completed. I wanted to read 20 new books this year (no rereads can be counted in this). This also doesn't include any fanfiction, no matter how well-written or epic it is (if it did, I'm sure I'm well beyond my goal). I'm at 16 right now, so I should easily hit 20 by the end of 2008. Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are all very proud of you, Freya! Also, I am impressed with how many books you read already this year.

That reminds me, I haven't read on in the Wallander mystery series for a while. Funnily, while they are originally Swedish, I as a German read them in English ;)