Thursday, February 19, 2009

Album Meme

It's 3 a.m., and I can't sleep. So I'm doing this.
It's my own version of the album meme. I've seen it both as just a list of 25 and as explanations for 15. I'm doing explanations for however many I come up with.
In chronological order as to when they were meaningful to me:

1. Carol King - Tapestry
Until I was 10, we always lived at least a two or three day's drive from my extended family. Nowadays, we're eight hours away, which I consider to be "close". Needless to say, I have spent a significant amount of time in a car with my mom, dad, and younger brother. Carol King was always a favorite of my mother's, and this tape got an immense amount of play on road trips. To this day, the four of us will sing it start to finish when embarking on a road trip. It's something that we can all agree to put on and actually enjoy, even though just about none of our musical tastes overlap very much.
Favorite song: Tapestry

2. They Might Be Giants - Flood
I was introduced to this album when I was 13, by my friend Rachel, at smart kids camp. For the first time in my life, I was almost completely independent (for three whole weeks!) and also fit in with just about everyone. It was the start of embracing my nerdom. Leaving that place was crushing to me, and this album reminded me of those three weeks, as I played it on repeat for the rest of the summer. It still makes me nostalgic in a very happy way.
Favorite song: Birdhouse in your Soul/Whistling in the Dark

3. Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves
Since I didn't have any older siblings, I did most of the music discovery when my brother and I were younger. I met a punk kid at smart kids camp that made me totally rethink my entire attitude about fitting in and social conformity that has influenced me to this day. He listened to much less mainstream punk than Rancid, but this was the first punk album I bought. My brother love it too, and took his love to another level entirely (liberty spikes, studded belt, and all), much to my father's delight. (/sarcasm)
Favorite song: Journey to the End of the East Bay

4. Blink 182 - Dude Ranch
At the age of 15, I was kinda angsty. (WEIRD, right?!) There is nothing like some emo-poppy-punk to help you wallow in that. And not to get all hipster on you, but I did own this album BEFORE everyone else did, yet I still like 'Dammit'. Sadly, I can no longer stand to listen to it. It brings back far too many memories best left repressed.
Favorite song: Untitled

5. Goo Goo Dolls - A Boy Named Goo
I will still defend this album heatedly to anyone. My first real boyfriend introduced me to it, and I scoffed at him, but it actually rocks a whole lot. There are some incredibly insightful lyrics. For the longest time, it was my go-to CD when I didn't know what to listen to.
Favorite song: Flat Top/Ain't That Unusual

6. Fear Factory - Obsolete
Ahhh, metal. At first, I only listened because it was all my boys would play. Then 'Obsolete' came out. Nowadays, it's not my metal of choice (waaaay too growly), but I love this album still. I can sing it start to finish, which people find surprising since it's not very singable or remotely in my range.
Favorite song: Shock

7. The Cure - Galore
Oh, The Cure. The late-teen angst soundtrack for, well, just about everyone. I picked up 'Galore' not realizing it was a greatest hits album. I've found over the years that just about no one objects to this when it's put on.
Favorite song: Just Like Heaven/Never Enough

8. Dr. Dre - 2001
When this album came out, every single person that I hung out with owned it. It was all we listened to for about a month. This was at the height of Eminem's popularity, and his albums got plenty of play as well, but this one I still come back to. If you know me well, I'm sure you understand that as an 18 year old, some of the "themes" were fairly relevant to me.
Favorite song: Still D.R.E./What's the Difference/Forgot About Dre/The Next Episode/Murder Ink

9. Tom Petty - Greatest Hits
As a college student, I think it's an unofficial gen ed requirement that you know this CD from start to finish. I've seen Tom Petty in concert many times, and every time is some sort of crazy debacle. These are my best concert memories. Even though I like 'Wildflowers' better, this album had much more play time in my life. Interestingly enough, JP can't stand it and winces anytime it comes on.
Favorite song: I Won't Back Down

10. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Mmmm...Dave Mustaine. Megadeth is by far the most singable metal that I have come across, and I don't hesitate to scream-sing this in my car. It's an easy pick when Will or Silent Bob or Zac are in the car, and I don't really know anyone that doesn't enjoy it to some extent.
Favorite song: Symphony of Destruction

11. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
'Rain Dogs' was the first Tom Waits album I was introduced to, and I remember telling JP that I was surprised Tom Waits sang a cover of a Rod Stewart song. If our relationship could withstand that, I know that we're always going to be ok. Tom Waits now comprises some ridiculous portion of my 10 gigs of music, and I wouldn't have it any other way. One of my missions in life is to make sure people have heard Tom Waits.
Favorite song: Hang Down Your Head

12. Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
My in-laws are notorious for finding music from NPR and foisting it upon us. So when they told us about this chick that got kicked out of Julliard because she wouldn't "focus" her music, I was slightly dismissive. Then we heard the album. The songs go from classic lounge crooning to spoken word/hip hop to smart poppy numbers, and I can never decide what I like best. Her second album is equally good. She also plays almost every instrument on the album, and inserts political commentary wherever she can. Talk about raw talent. Go listen to this if you don't know her. Everyone becomes a Nellie McKay convert.
Favorite song: All I can say is that Manhattan Avenue and I Wanna Get Married are my less-liked.

13. Shakira - Laundry Service
There is nothing like shaking your ass and singing while doing the dishes. 'Laundry Service' has enough Spanish on it to please me without frustrating me for not knowing the lyrics.
Favorite song: Eyes Like Yours

14. Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel
LeeAnn sent me to Barcelona with this CD and I would walk around the most amazing city in the world, listening to it, and staring in wonder. I am instantly transported by it still, and I can actually only listen to it when I'm in the right mood. Otherwise, it just depresses me that I'm not still there.
Favorite song: I don't like Liquid Diamonds as much as the rest of it. I can't choose otherwise.

15. Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
I had heard Aesop and El P and other Def Jux guys before this album came out, and I did like hip-hop, but, just, wow. This blew me out of the fucking water from the moment I heard it. JP and I listened to it for the first time in my car and about 30 seconds in, I turned to him and said, "I think this really fucking rocks." He agreed. It's two years later, and I still have this in constant rotation. I have burned more copies of this CD than any other and I hand it out whenever I get the chance. For awhile, I would have a few copies in the house ready for anyone who hadn't heard it. My friend Brian, who I would have never expected to like hip-hop, was completely transfixed by this album.
Favorite song: Catacomb Kids

16. The Whomping Willows - Welcome to the House of Awesome
My wizard rock obsession had to start somewhere. As soon as I discovered it, this was one of the first albums I bought, and I couldn't stop listening to it. Since then, I've come to appreciate Matt's other albums (perhaps more), but this was first and will always have a special place in my heart. I knew that we would be friends before we met because of some of these songs. Self-deprecating, hilarious, unable to take himself seriously - it's all so much fun to listen to. No matter how many times I see him play (I think I'm up to 9...), I will always get excited to hear these songs.
Favorite song: House of Awesome Theme Song

It's now 4ish, so I'm going to try and sleep again. Much music love to all of you.

No comments: