JP and I have a coffee table that some of you may remember. My father made it for us. It's a great design - mission style, with mosaic tiles on top. Unfortunately, it has been moved three separate times and keeps losing tiles. It's hard to clean because of the tiles and grout, and well, it's just seen better days. So I wanted to change the top without losing the rest of the table. I decided our best bet was to decoupage a big piece of wood that we would simply nail on top of the table. When trying to design it, I was completely befuddled. What theme do I want? How big should the pictures be? Do they all face the same way? Completely covered or spaces between? It gave me headaches to try and work it.
And then my genius of a husband suggested writing. Not just any writing, but quotes that we like and wanted to display. The muse struck me the other day, and I started the design and so far, it's fan-fucking-tastic. I love it.
The only thing is, I need more quotes! There are a few standbys that I love that are on there, but the rest are from a quick Google search for Carroll, Shakespeare, and Plato quotes. While all three of these people have many wonderful things to say, I need something more.
So, your mission, should you choose to accept it (and I must insist that you do!) is to leave me quotes in the comments. They can be song lyrics, famous writers, politicians, whatever. Don't make them too sappy or cliche (they'll never pass the JP test) or too bleak (I'll reject them). Please tell me the source if you know it.
When the table is finished (I'm hoping by, say, August, with our track record for these sorts of things), I'll post pictures and give credit to all who contributed. If you want to see the mock design, email me and I'll send you a jpeg of what I've put together so far.
Now go to town!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Quoth the raven, 'Nevermore'
Labels:
creative outlet,
interior design,
the ordinary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
fuck the police, coming straight from the underground. Young nigga's got it bad 'cause i'm brown, and not the other color so the police think they authority to kill a minority. - NWA, "Fuck the police"
"What does the scanner see? I mean really see? Into the head? Down in the heart? Does a passive infrared scanner like they used to use or a cube-type holo-scanner like they use these days, the latest thing, see into me-into us-clearly or darkly? I hope it does, see clearly, because I can't any longer these days see into myself. I see only murk. Murk outside; murk inside. I hope the scanners do better. Because, if the scanner sees only darkly, the way I myself do, then we are cursed, cursed again and like we have been continually" ~Phillip K Dick
"Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to do one more action with certainty. With martial valor, if one becomes like a revengeful ghost and shows great determination, though his head is cut off, he should not die. " Yamamoto Tsunetomo
"He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself, and if you gaze too long into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze into you." Nietzche
and in German : "Wer mit Ungeheuern kampft, mag zusehn,
daß er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. "
"Please Do Not Ask For Credit. Doctor is In, Doctor is Out. That's a pretty shaky molar you have there, Mrs. Kazinski. Now if you want this new acrylic filling, every bit as good as a gold inlay, I can do it for you for $14. Novocain will be two dollars extra, if you wish it. Doctor is In, Doctor is Out. That will be Three Dollars. Please Pay the Nurse." Raymond Chandler
"'Unhappy Men, children of little lords and brief kings, shall such as these lay hands on you, and yet live?'" J.R.R. Tolkien
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
"Do nothing which is of no use" - Miyamoto Musashi (the grammar is iffy, but I like it)
"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity." - Robert Frost
"College is a refuge from hasty judgment.;
Education doesn't change life much. It just lifts trouble to a higher plane of regard.;
Education is hanging around until you've caught on." - Robert Frost
"A joke is a very serious thing.;
A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen." - Sir Winston Churchill
"Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice; take each man's censure but reserve thy judgement." - William Shakespeare
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.;
After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are always artists as well.;
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
-Albert Einstein
BTW, I cheated. :) Check out http://www.quotopia.com
It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge. ~Enrico Fermi
A room without books is like a body without a soul. ~Cicero
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. ~Mark Twain
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
I dissaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep. ~Fran Lebowitz
"Violent pencil tossing usually signals the need for pie." -Luke Danes
"If you can't be happy at least you can be drunk."
- Rory Gilmore
Eeyore was saying to himself, "This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it."
A. A. Milne
Winnie the Pooh
Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering.
A. A. Milne
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” Dr. Seuss
'A dream is a wish your heart makes' - Disney's Cinderella
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom Waits
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx
"A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika." - Dorothy Parker
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." - Mae West
"Like Lincoln, I would like to believe the ballot is stronger than the bullet. Then again, he said that before he got shot." - Sarah Vowell
I have a poster of pithy quotes about writing by famous authors that you might find something on.
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars!" - Les Brown
"You only live once...but if you work it right, once is enough." - Joe E. Lewis
"At the worst a house unkept cannot be so distressing as a life unlived." - Rose Macaulay
"Let us endeavor to live so that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain
"Success in life is never the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire." - Arnold Glasow
"We should consider every day lost in which we have not dances at least once." - Friedrich Nietzsche
And there are HUNDREDS more where those came from...
"Let be be finale of seem..." Wallace Stevens "The Emperor of Ice Cream"
Post a Comment