I actually collected this from two shorter ones. I would love to hear your answers as well. Do it.
And thank you all for your sympathy and suggestions about my lost photos. It has made me feel much better.
Total number of books owned:
I'm going to say somewhere between 300-500. I may be inspired to count now.
Philosophy on reading:
Reading books is a purely escapist pastime for me. I don't want to read about politics or wars. I read to forget those things. I have enjoyed classic literature in the past, but nowadays I tend to read whatever I feel like, and screw anyone for thinking less of me. Considering 25% of the U.S. population didn't read a book last year, I'm ok with just reading what I like and not forcing anything down my own throat. Sorry, Dostoyevsky.
I made the first ever New Year's resolution that I am trying to stick to. I need to read 20 books this year, not counting re-reading any Harry Potter's or any fics (novel-length or not!). I'm a little short of being on track, but I will do it. Currently reading new book #12.
Last book bought:
Today I was at Borders and finally bought 'Twilight'. I also bought 'The Host' because I was told it was better. =)
Last book read:
I reread 'Deathly Hallows' again, but before that was the ninth Harry Dresden. Currently reading the tenth and wondering how I will cope when it's over.
One book you’d want on a desert island:
For some reason, I could read Michael Crichton's 'Andromeda Strain' over and over again.
Though, I should probably say 'Ulysses' because the only way I will ever willingly read Joyce again is when it is the only reading material available to me.
One book that made you laugh:
Every single Dresden Files has made me laugh out loud while in public.
One book that made you cry:
One?!? I cry at the drop of a (book) hat. The worst was 'The Notebook' - all I did was sob through the whole thing. It's like the Grey's Anatomy of pulp fiction. 'The Amber Spyglass' is probably the saddest thing ever, though.
One book that you wish had been written:
'Lyra and Will - Together Again'.
Seriously though, I wouldn't mind a 'Remus Lupin, the Lost Years'. Good thing there's fanfic. Lol.
One book that you wish had never been written:
The entire Dark Tower series. I found it to be an egregious waste of time (sorry to every other person on the planet that loved them).
Also, 'Wicked'. Egads, that was tedious.
One book you’re currently reading:
'Small Favor', Jim Butcher.
One book you’ve been meaning to read:
'The Host', Stephenie Meyer.
Five books that mean a lot to you:
(I am going to cheat and say that series count here)
The Dragonlance Chronicles, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman: Trilogy. The very first fantasy that I ever read. My father read 'The Hobbit' to us on a practically yearly basis, but this was the first that I picked up on my own, and I was blown away. Fantasy continues to be my favorite genre.
His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman: Trilogy. I have never heard of so many grown men crying as I have about the end of 'The Amber Spyglass'. I can't even really talk about it without tearing up. There is so much in those books to take in, and I hope to someday meet my dæmon.
Harry Potter, JK Rowling: 7 part series. I don't know what it is about the Potterverse that continues to fascinate me, but I can't stop. I want to talk about it. I want to muse aloud about the adults' personal lives and bad habits and coping mechanisms. I want to wonder how it was possible that we were all saved by a 17 year old. Yet, it's so believable. And they are still my favorite re-reads of all times. Every time I finish a book, I have to fight not to pick up one of them, yet again.
'Stargirl', Jerry Spinelli: Everyone should read this book somewhere around age 14. She gives me faith in humanity by being honest and hopeful and not too cheesy or schmaltzy. I <3 Stargirl.
'Neverwhere', Neil Gaiman: My copy was borrowed a few days before my birthday, taken to a signing without my knowledge, and signed 'Happy birthday, Freya. Mind the gap. Neil Gaiman." (I was also gifted 'The Golden Compass' by the same person (Tim) that year). I've always loved the book for its pure escapism without being insulting to my intelligence.
Monday, August 25, 2008
Book meme
Labels:
harry potter,
literature and reading,
survey/quiz
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I also found Wicked very tedious - it was a nifty idea, and parts of the execution were novel, but BLAH. I think it would've made a fine short story, if written by someone else.
I loved Stephen King as a teen, and still read him now and then, but I could not get through the first of Dark Tower, so I have to agree with you there. Maybe I will try again one day, maybe I won't. So much to read, so little time...
I was glad to read your comment about the Dark Tower series... I was afraid I just didn't "get it". I did, however, like Wicked.
I am so small (book) minded, it takes pulling my arm to get me to read anything new and when I do i turn into a nut telling everyne they should read it and not being able to discuss anything else. I found Andre Norton and read nothing but her work for 2 years!! Zack brought Lord of the Rings into my life and there was a sad obsession with becoming an elf. My dad forced me to read (seriously gave me the book 4 times) Christopher Moore - love love love him! And you darling (though, Macy, Sarah and my mom helped) gave me Harry Potter and now I am a complete fangirl :) And I have allways wanted to read Wicked but keep getting strong reviews not to.
So I'm one of the guys who digs Stephenie Meyer. Twilight is much easier to fall into than Host (I managed to devour the four-book series before glancing twice at Host), so be prepared for that. It's actually on my to-do list. Caitlin assures me that Host is worth the initial effort.
Post a Comment