You know the rule where you're allowed to make fun of your little brother, but no one else is? Because you know that deep down you love him, so it's ok?
I have much the same affliction with Pittsburgh.
Todd recently posted this on Flickr, linking to a report on how Sienna Miller complained about Pittsburgh.
So, I get it, I really do. You live the swank life in NY and LA, and it's hard for Pittsburgh to compete.
What really bothers me are the comments on the story from regular ol' folk.
"I think it's a nice place but it's not Boston, Chicago or San Francisco and it never will be."
Well, no shit, honey. We have a small fraction of that population. Of course we are not going to have the same amenities.
Population Greater Pittsburgh: 1.3 million
Population Greater San Francisco: 7.2 million
Population Greater Boston: 4.4 million (not including Worcester or Providence, which are within 45 miles)
Population Greater Chicago: 9.5 million
"Slacked jaws, nascar, hunting, and the loss of a football game can make the entire city heartbroken and cease all activity...Not to mention the awful semi-southern white trash accent that is so abundant."
Oh, yikes. It's like the people that meet the one asshole in a city and decide the whole place is full of them. And I have to say, there are people who speak Pittsburghese, sure, but there are plenty that do not. You could hardly say the same in a large Southern city, where people look at "Yankees" funny.
"...the transportation system sucks (ONE metro, to and from South Hills?? Oh, I am sorry, I forgot about the Pat Bus, how fun to ride)."
This person moved from Pittsburgh to DC. I bet if she ever went to Buffalo or KC (comparably sized cities), she'd be begging for the PAT system.
"Doesn’t your Mayor have better things to do than comment on what a two bit actress thinks?"
Um, don't you think someone asked him about it? I somehow doubt he called a press conference to talk about Sienna Miller.
Regardless of how great other cities are, I am in Pittsburgh of my own volition. There is plenty to do if you care to look, and lots of good people here. I was a little surprised to read all of this, because most people I talk to that have been here think it's a fun town. And guess what? I pay much less for my adorable apartment than anyone living in Boston, DC, NY, or San Francisco, which makes my quality of life better. So there.
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Pittsburgh Pride
Labels:
loved ones,
rant,
the ordinary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I miss the Burgh. But Portland rocks. Portland is also 2x more expensive :(
I too get pissed when people make irrelevant comparisons of Pittsburgh and other cities. Take it for what it is. You don't get the amenities of a large city, but then again, you don't get the amenities of a small city (e.g., affordability, a friendly neighborhood vibe, fairly safe environment) in a big one, but no one bitches about that! People seem to think that the loud, drunk yinzers they see at sporting events are the only kind of people there are in this town.
Sorry. I agree with almost everything people say about this town. Ignorant rednecks, attrocious drivers, abysmal city management and policies, poorly maintained roads, unjustifiably high taxes...
I love my friends. My friends just so happen to live in Pittsburgh. That coincidence does not a good city make.
Freya, as far as this native yinzer is concerned, you rock!
noah, the road conditions have to do with the climate, as does the high tax rate (the money for all the salt and asphalt has to come from somewhere). City management is far from poor- the city council is one of the most efficient in the country (unlike San Fran, Chicago, St. Louis and Buffalo). I'll give you the atrocious drivers, though you've obviously never been to LA, NYC, Chicago, Dallas or St. Paul- all of whose drivers are far worse than we Pittsburghers. I might also concede that this city might be one of the last metropolitan refuges of the mullet, however, *that* coincidence does not an ignorant redneck make.
One of my favorite quotes about my home-town is this:
"New York may have Manhattan, but Pittsburgh built it."
Find me a city without faults and I'll find you a mirror and show you a zealot.
When did Portland start to become an expensive city ;) Well compared to SF or NYC anyway. But I love Portland too, just pretty different from Pittsburgh.
Fred - housing. Quite pricey compared to here.
Post a Comment