I know I emailed this to some of you already, but thought I'd put it out here as a blog entry as well.
I'm sure many of you can remember how excited I was when I met Seth Rogen in January. If you haven't heard the story, "met" in this case means rolling down my window to talk to him and then driving away. It was then that I really accepted my fangirl leanings. They had always been lurking, but getting to do that really just brought it out into the open. And like anything, if you nurture it, it will grow.
As interested in my spritual growth as I'm sure you all are, I do have another point. I've always had a thing for Harry Potter, even moreso than anyone else I know personally. My latest foray into the fandom has been exploring the world of Wizard rock, which I've posted about before.
I don't even know how to really explain the Wizard rock community to you, but I can tell you that these guys are very into promoting literacy and raising money for various social awareness movements, most notably the HP Alliance. Their goal is not so much to make money, but to tour around and get to play. They all eschew big media and record labels, and are proving that you can be a musician without that. They do this with the unerring support of their fans, like me (us?).
One of my favorite Wizard rock bands is launching a fall tour specifically to make money for the HP Alliance and asked their fans to help them book shows. I spent a day contacting various venues and organizations to see if anyone was willing to have them play and have booked a show for them at Your Inner Vagabond in Lawrenceville on November 25th, at 7pm. Cover is $3.
As silly as you might think this sounds, it would be really awesome if as many of you could come as possible.
Pros:
- $2 of your cover goes to the HP Alliance.
- You support me.
- You support a fan movement that has managed to bring people together from all over the country.
- You will avoid my great disappointment by not attending.
- You will prove to Your Inner Vagabond and the bands that Pittsburgh is a place that is willing to make itself available to Wizard rockers.
- If you're lucky, you can meet Matt of the Whomping Willows. If you just read some of his lyrics, I think you'll agree that he is definitely someone that most of us will get along with.
- You can watch me all dressed up in my HP finery, bouncing around and singing all night long.
Cons:
- For 2 hours you're going to have to listen to 2 guys playing music that might not be your cup of tea.
- You'll have to be in the same room as some teenagers.
See, when you break it down like that, isn't it obvious that you should come?
I also have to ask a big favor of someone(s). I need someone(s) to work the door and collect the cover. Normally, jobs like this would fall to my go-to guys (JP and Tim), but they both already have assignments for this (JP is allowing random people to sleep in our apartment, and Tim is doing photography). It would be nice if someone would volunteer for the door, but if you desperately need to be paid, I can pay you in goods and/or services.
I know it's awhile away, but think about it a little.
Wishing much love and Wizard rock your way!

No comments:
Post a Comment