Monday, December 08, 2008

Drama-riffic Internets

I know I haven't updated about the gazillion things I have done since the last vlog entry, and I apologize. I've had a lot both on my mind and my plate recently, and I am epically failing at balancing it all. I am currently working on some sort of system to file my life into the important categories and devote the requisite amount of time to each. But I've kinda failed at that, too. You see, I have a problem. I can't stop dealing with drama on the internet.

I feel like the word "drama" definitely gets a bad rap. I don't mean to say that I am wasting my time or that any argument/disagreement is petty and/or not worthwhile. No one is forcing me to read and write these things. It's just so easy to read about it and think about it and write about it and then read the responses and think about them and then write some more. Sometimes I just wish the internet was like one giant Skype call and I could quick say what I wanted and move on. Since I also refuse to be ripped apart on anything factually related to opinions of mine, I do extensive research to try and justify what I have to say. Today, I reached the breaking point when I read this:

"The Freedom from Religion Foundation wanted in on the action, so there will be a billboard posted that reads 'Religion is but a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.'"

Actually, what the sign says is this: (from Pharyngula)

"At this season of the Winter Solstice may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

First of all, it's not a billboard. It's a sign. It's also next to a nativity scene and what they are calling a "Holiday Tree". Apparently, no one has yet requested to have a menorah there, so there isn't one.
I'm sure you can imagine what happened in the comment thread, but just in case, I'll clue you in. Here was the majority opinion:

"i have a big problem with those who try and take away my being able to celebrate [Christmas], i/e Christmas trees in stores and such, just because they dont believe in it. Dont take away what i believe in just because your views are different from mine!!"

Are you joking? That sign is in the capital building. Freedom of religion means that the government cannot favor any particular religion. Since it is a government building, all religions must be allowed to express themselves.
On a further note, I was unaware that Christians spent Christmas at the capital building. How is it even possible that this sign or calling the tree there a "holiday tree" is taking away anything that you believe in? Especially since I'm fairly certain that the tradition of decorating an evergreen was not commonplace during the time of Christ.

Perhaps I have a unique view since I have always celebrated Christmas but have never had any religious association with it. I really could care less if someone says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Happy Festivus" or just "Have a good fucking day". That person took the time to be polite and give you a greeting of some sort. In a week where I am spending most of my free time reading people's shitty-ass comments berating each other, I appreciate the fact that someone in real life might be friendly to me and others. So, please, however you are greeted in Walmart or Whole Foods or some sort of center for secular humanists, just smile back and say thanks. I know it may have stemmed from Christianity, but the whole "goodwill towards men" should be on everyone's mind. And not just in December, either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you beed reading foxnews.com comment threads.... if so, they are enough to make a person crazy.

Anonymous said...

I saw that sign on a blog post somewhere the other day. It made me very happy. I don't think anything should be taken away from anyone, if people want to believe in Jesus and Transformers and stuff that's cool, but sometimes it's nice for the rest of us to remember that making jokes about religion is and likely always will be hilarious.

On a side note related to this point, someone mentioned this comic to me the other day and your post reminded me of it:

Someone's wrong on the Internet.

freya said...

@Lacey: I'm not that crazy. =)

@nathan: Check out this entry from May. Great minds...