Tuesday, June 26, 2007

darts in women's clothing



ok, I know that clothing designers are not specifically designing clothes for my body. however, when I find things that fit, I assume that I was meant to wear it. this is why I have been so flabbergasted lately with the placement of darts on women's clothing.

for those of you that don't know, www.thefreedictionary.com has the 5th definition of dart listed as: "a tapered tuck sewn to adjust the fit of a garment". see picture.

my problem is the placement of the darts when on a top. the end of the dart is always exactly where my nipple is! this gives the impression that I am either cold or aroused all day long. that is hardly work-appropriate, even though I work somewhere where there is no dress code whatsoever. it's not really all that public-appropriate either, unless I want to objectify myself for some sort of gain (which I'm not generally interested in!).

and you know what the worst part is? none of my t-shirts have darts! wifebeaters don't either! they are reserved for my "classier" clothing. the cute dress that I want to wear to a summer wedding or the button down that makes me look psuedo-professional.

I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Look for dresses with back darts or princess seams (which eliminate the need for darts entirely!) I have a similar problem with front darts, with the added bonus that button-downs and dresses in my size also tend to have diagonal darts that run from the armpit across the side of the boob: the two sets of darts together then look like friggin' arrows pointing at my nipples all "Hey! Look at meee!"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.