there are many ways that I am "girly". I understand the importance of having polished toenails, wearing an uber-bra that reforms your entire torso (no matter how uncomfortable!), and reading Cosmo. however, contrary to everything that I have ever read about the female brain, I want to solve your problems.
women are supposed to be sympathetic listeners and men supposedly try to come up with solutions. I do both. as I'm listening to you and nodding, all I can think is: how can I fix this? what can I do to make this better?
I think it comes from the caretaker part of my personality. everyone needs to be fed. cats and husbands need some loving (though in very different ways!). people need me to bring beer to their house. you get the idea.
lately, I've had a problem that has no solution. and it drives me crazy every single day that I can do nothing about it.
I can't bring Steph home.
I sent 2 packages to her this week. I email her everyday. what else can I do? what solution is there? politically, there's no way I can do anything that will make a difference to her personally. with him in office, there's no way we'll withdraw troops. I can campaign and help all I want for the '08 election, but by then she'll be home. sure, it's a good idea to help other mothers-of-3-girls-under-6 stuck there or ready to deploy, but it doesn't solve my problem of the moment. I can't visit. I can't take up a collection to send James and the girls to her. the best I can do is keep her stocked with powdered Kool-Aid and DVDs, and it seems like so little.
(note: if you have a spare positive thought, please send it Stephanie Pierce's way. she's stationed in Iraq for the next 14 months, and has a husband, 3 gorgeous daughters, and countless friends waiting for her back home.)
Friday, June 15, 2007
if you have a problem, yo, I'll (try and) solve it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Campaign and work like hell for the '08 election anyway, though. For the sake of those Stephanies from other cities that may be deployed later otherwise.
Post a Comment