this week and next, the admin assistant in our office is in Germany. since our building is locked, people have to call to be let in, like FedEx, the water guy, DHL, etc.. the number posted downstairs is the number of her office phone. so she asked me if I would mind sitting in her office for these 2 weeks and answering the door, refilling the coffee station, and sorting the mail. I said of course, no big deal, happy to help.
ha!
on Monday, everyone was confused. many people stopped by the office and said "You're not Lisa!" (I knew that, thanks). so I decided to send out an email saying, hey, I'm sitting here and letting everyone know that while I am in Lisa's office, I am not Lisa. the email went like this:
Hey y'all,
I just wanted to let you know that I'll be sitting in Lisa's office while she's in Germany for the next 2 weeks.
Here's what I can do for you:
-sort the mail and put it in your mailbox
-answer the door
-sell you cappuccino and put out coffee, sugar, and creamer
-give you candy
-give you keys to the supply closet
Here's what I can't do:
-anything else that Lisa does for you
I wish I could be of more help, but unfortunately I don't know how to do what she does. You can ask, but I'll most likely have to say "I don't know". Your best bet will be to email her. She will still be checking email in Germany.
Thanks!
Freya
so far, I have had a bazillion requests that definitely fall under the "anything else Lisa does for you" category, such as:
-buying plane tickets
-knowing our director's schedule
-ordering office supplies
I thought my email was clear! what part of it made you think that I know where our boss is at all times? or that I somehow have the power to buy you a plane ticket? I'm still Freya! I'm just in a different office!
Thursday, June 07, 2007
I am not your secretary, take 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I would print that sucker up in 16pt type and post it in front of her desk in a prominent spot. And then highlight the part that says "What I can't do for you". And then cock-punch anyone who doesn't read fully before making their request. But then again, I am unfit for office work...
Post a Comment