I just had the most infuriating conversation with a man on the street. he was soliciting donations for some needy kids program. a perfectly good cause, as far as I'm concerned, so I gave him $10. here's how part of the necessary small talk conversation went:
Him: so, you must be a student around here?
Me: no, actually, I work for CMU.
Him: oh you do? do you do clerical work for them?
are you fucking kidding me? is it acceptable to assume that someone who is young, a woman, and wearing a skirt is some sort of secretary?? now, don't get me wrong. I understand that being a secretary/admin assistant/executive assistant can definitely be a challenging and not very rewarding job. I just don't like when people conveniently stick me in their molds of what they think this 25 year old girl does.
Thursday, May 31, 2007
just because I'm a woman and wore a skirt today doesn't make me a secretary
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am surprised your husband even lets you leave the house. Shouldn't you be bare foot, pregnant, and have a pot roast and martini ready for JP when he gets home from a long day at school/work?
I don't think it had anything to do with the skirt. I think even if you'd been wearing pants, that man would still have decided that if you aren't a student or a mommy, you must be a secretary. My eyes would've rolled so hard they'd fall out of my skull if it'd been me.
Post a Comment