Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Local Man Rescues Bat and Sweater!

last night, I couldn't sleep. I finally managed to fall asleep around 2:30, which is SO past my bedtime. so this morning, I slept in...until 9:25! yikes!
so the morning consisted of my running around, making coffee, getting ready, etc. as fast as I could. even though it was late, I decided to walk to the bus stop because I'm still on my global warming kick, and it's only a 15 minute walk. so I've got my iPod on, strolling down our apartment complex driveway. I hear a weird noise (like a little bleat) and some rustling, so I turn around. on the driveway is a teeny lil' bat, obviously injured in some way, staring up at me. I looked closer, and he definitely looks to be in bad shape. but I don't want to just pick him up for a multitude of reasons (rabies, breaking him further, biting in general, etc.). I try and call JP, but his phone isn't on. so I walk away. and leave him laying in the sun.
the whole rest of the walk to the bus stop, I felt so guilty. how could I just leave him there? but who could I call? the zoo? Animal Rescue League? are these people really going to send someone to come get an injured bat that very well might be run over by the time they get there? what do I do?
I call JP again and he picks up. I tell him the story and he says he will investigate the matter. essentially, I asked him to 1) find someone who would come rescue the poor thing and 2) stand next to the bat until this happens, to make sure that no one runs the poor little guy over.
about 2 minutes after that, I call him back. I realize I left my sweater sitting on a bench at the bus stop. my favorite, classic, irreplaceable black sweater. could he go pick it up? he agrees to do that.
I finally get to work and am updated. JP rescued the bat! he put a dustpan in front of it and a towel behind it and sorta scooped it into the dustpan. then he took him to the shade, where he said he flapped around quite a bit. then he went and got my sweater. when he came back, there was no sign of the bat. I like to think that he flew off to his living quarters to heal, and that all he needed was a little bit of rest in the shade to allow him to get home.

seriously, who indulges their wife when they call and tell you to tend to an injured bat and then go pick up their sweater at the bus stop? I'm so lucky to have him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! We'll all go ahead and think that the bat recouped and flew back home.

Anonymous said...

You are lucky, indeed. Take good care of that man!!

Katy said...

jp is my hero! look how dashing he looks in that photograph. he should be an auror, definitely.

Unknown said...

Awwww. That's love, right there. Nice one, lil' bro! I agree, very dashing.