ok, so I've been on a "global-warming-awareness/save-the-world" kick lately. I realize my judgment may be skewed for hormonal reasons as well. however, I just read this and I was appalled.
there are people out there who change their sheets daily?
seriously?!?
the time that you're wasting aside, you're doing a huge batch of laundry every day. if you have kids and you do this for them, you're doing several! plus, most people wash sheets in hot water. this wastes an amazing amount of energy, both heating the water and running the washer/dryer!
are you showering? if so, I'm guessing that you're not dirty enough to make your sheets gross on a daily basis.
I haven't gotten to the point where I'm totally crazy about consumption. I still take hot showers, I still drive my car, I still use electricity and my dishwasher. my life changes have been so subtle and easy that I find it amazing other people aren't on the bandwagon! replacing incandescents with CFLs, switching to the 'energy saver' setting on the dishwasher, recycling, using my own bags at the grocery store...none of these things have been hard to do. and I'm guessing if the whole world did it, it would make a huge difference.
everyone always complains that one person can't make a difference. but the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change claims that it is individual action that can make a difference: "The panel…said for the first time that lifestyle changes could help fight global warming."
So...let's do it! and then I'll stop my soapbox preaching, I promise.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
continued bitching
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment