Monday, May 14, 2007

when it rains, it pours

ok, last post of the day. I promise.

does anyone else get a LOT of wrong numbers on their cell? I'm talking several weekly. because at least twice a week, I pick up the phone to deal with something like this:

me: hello?
random person: who's this?
me: you called me. who's this?
random person: George. is this Rocco?
me: uhh, no. I think you have the wrong number.
random person: is this (412)XXX-XXXX?
me: yeah, but there's no Rocco here.
random person: are you sure?
me: yes!

or here's an oldie but a goodie:

me: hello?
old lady: hello?
me: hello?
old lady: uhhh, hello? I need to make an appointment.
me: I think you have the wrong number.
old lady: I need an appointment with Dr. So-and-so.
me: you have the wrong number.
old lady: this isn't Dr. So-and-so's?
me: no.
old lady: (obviously miffed that I have ruined her plans of making a doctor's appointment) well then!

seriously, are you joking? if you called the wrong number, wouldn't you just apologize nicely and say goodbye? it's hardly my fault that Rocco doesn't know his own phone number or that Dr. So-and-so's is close enough to mine that your lack of manual dexterity connects you to me.
by far, my favorite was an entire day of wrong numbers. someone named Mary had given out my phone number to MANY different people, telling them that she could be contacted there. her mother, grandmother, boyfriend, friend, and guy friend all called that day looking for Mary. some people were confused when I said there was no Mary there ("well, when you see her, could you tell her I called?") and others were irate ("she told me I could call her here!").

does this happen to anyone else?

No comments: