well, I've done it. it took 9 months and 12 days, but I now know the names of everyone at work.
this might sound strange. at every other place I've worked, it was long before this that I knew everyone else. but at every other place I've worked, we've all had set schedules and jobs that were clear to other people. while I may know their names, I don't know what over half of them are doing (easy answer: research). I'm sure I have spoken to everyone at least once, but that may be it for some. I smile, I say hello, but that's as far as it goes with most. I have my friends at work: Susi, my boss and smoking partner, Isaac, the friendly and talkative IT guy, Ashish, who I met up with on that fateful happy hour night, and of course, Lisa, the also young and talkative girl...but that's about it. my officemate and I talk occasionally. my old officemate and I talked occasionally. while friendly, neither of them seem happy to just strike up a conversation for the sake of conversation.
I have 3 theories:
1) 2nd language: most people in my office speak English as a second language. most speak English fairly well. however, the English I speak is not taught in any classroom. it's also faster than just about everything, including the Gilmore Girls. out of about 35 of us, there are 6 Americans. I'm not sure I translate well.
2) Social awkwardness: ok, no one likes stereotypes. unfortunately, they do exist for a reason. I work mostly with programmers. people who work with computers a lot do not tend to be the most socially boisterous crowd. I'm guessing that shyness is a contributing factor in my lack of knowledge about my co-workers.
3) No more room: there gets a point where a group does not really have more room for anyone. I don't mean physically, I just mean that there's nothing missing. this makes it much harder to integrate yourself. it's possible that everyone is just happy with their own little cliques and aren't accepting applications for new members at this time.
so, who knows? I've come a looooong way since last August. I feel comfortable walking around here. I'm not the newest person. people seem to (sort of?) realize what I do. they (mostly? sometimes?) know my name.
ahhh, well. I guess I should just be happy with my group of friends. we all may be Americans, and some of us may be socially awkward, but we're always taking applications. just come find the data collection girl. she smiles at you when you walk past, and she now knows your name.
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
in the fold
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
off the subject of the post, but have you quit quitting smoking? can I start buying you funny japanese smoking paraphernalia?
Post a Comment