Good news, though. I do know when I'll be back again.
My American roommate from Barcelona, Laura, has been going to grad school for her MSW in Chicago for the past 2 1/2 years. She has a summer internship, and then she's done! Cleverly, she arranged to have her internship in Portland, so that she and her boyfriend can stop doing the long distance thing and finally be together again. The bad news? Her boyfriend is going to a family reunion in Europe and won't be around to help her move.
Insert me. Tonight, I'm flying to Chicago, helping Laura with the movers tomorrow, packing up her car and cat, and driving off into the heart of America on Saturday. We're driving for three days, across parts unknown to me as an adult. Near as I can tell, this will be our route:
I am very much an East coast girl, so this will be strange for me. Nebraska? Wyoming? Idaho? All I know is this is a giant belt of red on political maps. Not many big cities, lots of prairie...Donny, I'm out of my element. Luckily, Laura lived in Kansas for several years (albeit in the one pocket of liberalness in the midst of Jerry Falwell land), so I'm counting on her to introduce me to the Midwest. The best part? Three uninterrupted days of Laura, which I haven't had since Barcelona, making it about five years. Last we saw each other was my wedding, where I was quite preoccupied. We have two years of catching up to do, with grad school and life taking a heavy toll on our time to talk, and I couldn't be more excited. I have five audiobooks for us, countless podcasts, and the 'Once More with Feeling' soundtrack. What else could we possibly need?
We'll get to Portland on Monday, and I have a red-eye booked for Tuesday night. The even better news is that I get to spend Tuesday in Portland with Laura, and Tim took the day off to come up and be with us! Tim Scott + Laura + a brand new city? Does life get better than that? So, I'll have a day in the city, dinner with them, and then I'm off to come home. It's a whirlwind trip for sure.
I'll have my laptop and camera (of course!), so I'll try to blog and upload pics as we go along. I don't know what the wi-fi situation will be like, but hopefully you'll hear from me at some point. If not, don't worry, I'll be back! Try not to have any big drama while I'm gone, hmm? I ask that of the world at large, because I'm not sure I'll have access to news and current events, let alone my little corner of the world (both real life and internet). I hope the whole Lexicon trial can wait these five days, because I'd hate to be totally out of the loop on that.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
I'm leaving on a jet plane
Labels:
loved ones,
travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
A small suggestion to you route: Instead of continuing west on 80 past Cheyenne, take 25 north toward Casper and then 90 north at Buffalo. Cross into Montana, continue west on 90 past Billings, Bozeman, Butte and Missoula. At Missoula, catch US12 west toward Lolo and then Lewiston, ID. You will then cross the river into Clarkston, WA. US12 turns into WA261, then WA126 toward Walla Walla. Then cross into OR toward Pendleton on OR11 to I84 to Portland.
The highlights of this route are a trip through the Rockies- and try to get to Bozeman at night because it is nothing but darkness and mountains until suddenly and with little warning, there is an oasis of light that is Bozeman. They even have a Starbucks. I have been to 45 states... Montana is the most beautiful and there is no speed limit (easier during this time of year than in the dead of winter when I drove it and needed chains on the tires!). Clearwater Nat'l Forest is in Idaho along this route as is the Nez Perce Indian Reserve, wherein lie two casinos 'Native American style' in Kooskia and Myrtle. The view from Lewiston looking upon Clarkston is literally magical. It sounds so cheesy, but once you get there, you will understand. Along WA261, you will find the original Starbucks in where else Starbuck, WA. And you get to say you went to Walla Walla (if you haven't already). The landscape from WA into OR along this route is breathtaking and one of the few areas in this frontier that remains untouched (largely) by the scourge of advertising.
While it seems longer, the no speed limit in MT will actually balance out the State routes, which are two lane highways with few obstacles to forward progress.
If you are at all interested in seeing what Lewis and Clark saw, take this route. It is out of the way, slightly- and you miss Utah altogether- but it is well worth it.
-Rich
One more thing... when I was in Lewiston for three months, I got to know a militia group who were preparing for a coup against the Clinton administration! Red state much? It beats the monotony of the Interstate system, which, while having the benefit of straightshotedness, is nothing compared to driving through an Indian Reserve (the only reason that the state route is not an Interstate is the Indian Reserve- otherwise it is as modern and well kept as an Interstate), national forest and the Lewiston/Clarkston historical aspect.
Either way- have a good trip!
-Rich
Dude, you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!
I've already said this, but dammit, I'm jealous. Have an awesome trip and I'll see you at the airport on Tuesday!
Rich is nerd squared. Have a fun and safe trip!!
I decide to come to Pittsburgh and this is what you go do?! You are making my weekend seem so lame. Although, I will be getting drunk at Scott Park, legally! So I'm kinda stoked about that. I know you are going to have an awesome time so I'll just add my Kathleenie/Mom-esque two cents and be done: Please be careful, don't talk to strangers or take any of their candy! No matter how much you may want to!! Don't drive too fast, stop and rest if you both get tired. Other than that have an amazing wonderful time!! I'll be thinking about you (and worrying too, it's just what I do).
Post a Comment