Thursday, May 29, 2008

End of Chicago and Day One

I am home safe and I plan on blogging the whole trip, just a little at a time. Work is crazy after being off for 3 days, so the last thing I really wanted to do tonight was sit in front of the computer. But here is update #1, to be followed by more. And pictures, eventually.

So, on Friday the movers finally finished around 8 and Laura's friends Sheera, Libby, and Libby's boyfriend, Chris, came over. We ate Indian food on the floor of Laura's now empty apartment. It was actually pretty great. Sleeping on the floor was much less bad than I expected it to be, with the help of a yoga mat and a featherbed. We got off a little late the next day (11ish) and did some exciting things, like crossing the Mississippi. The highlight of Iowa was the convenience store, Kum 'n Go. I bought 6 lighters with their logo for all my smoker friends and a cheap leather wristband with skulls on it. It was awesome. We hightailed it out of there because there was a tornado warning and didn't want to be sucked up and then spit back out again. Shortly after that, we saw cows lying down. That means rain or tornadoes or something like that, so we were a little freaked. City girls don't do well in the middle of nowhere.

We managed to make it to the middle of Nebraska that day, and stopped in Kearney (pronounced carnie...like, guy that works at a carnival). We stayed at a Rodeway Inn that actually allowed pets and ordered pizza and chilled.

Speaking of pets...Ruby was a doll. She did puke once, but cat puke is something I'm well accustomed to, so no big.

Overall, good day. The 75 mph speed limit definitely helped things along, and relaxing in the hotel room (with free wi-fi!) after a day in the car was decadent.
Stay tuned for...Wyoming!

No comments: