I know I promised to blog about the rest of my trip, but I'm not feeling inspired about that right now. I have spent the past week trying to readjust to being home again, and I've discovered something exciting - rollerblading!
So, I guess this does have a little bit to do with my trip, because Laura was going to throw away a pair of rollerblades that just happened to fit me perfectly. I snatched them up (along with a larger duffel she was getting rid of to store them in) and I have been out twice since I've had them. Once was just around the neighborhood and the other time was with JP and Zac to a Pittsburgh Venture Outdoors event where they teach you rollerblading. It turns out that it's just like riding a bike, so I can rollerblade quite well, even thought it's been about 14 years. And now I think I'm obsessed. I went out tonight and bought wrist guards, elbow pads, a helmet, and a hydration pack. On Wednesday, I plan to meet the Pittsburgh Inline Club to skate around Shadyside. Yay! New friends and physical activity? Crazy!
My super excitement about this has made me reflect upon the many different addictions and obsessions I have had throughout my life.
First and foremost, we have cigarettes (based on this article, I'm convinced it's genetics and not entirely my fault that I can't quit.). There's coffee as well. These are the only two constants that I really have. Otherwise, I go through phases where I'm obsessed with reading fanfiction, writing, photography, television, making altered books, surfing the web, doing yoga, playing DDR, baking, cooking, cleaning, etc., etc., etc. Usually I discover a new passion, buy all the required gear/supplies for it, do it for a week, and then totally disregard it. Being slightly more financially stable makes this even worse. It's suddenly not a huge deal if I go out and buy $20 worth of fabric and thread for the sewing machine that I have never used.
Luckily, this addictive part of my personality does not seem to apply to the usual things. Yes, I went through a binge drinking phase, but I was depressed and easily stopped it once I realized it was just making matters worse. There was that time I was addicted to Ambien, but it was definitely more about being able to sleep than the drug itself. Based on the incidence of alcoholism in the family, I consider myself fortunate for this.
This rollerblading thing, though. I really hope it sticks. I'd love to be in shape. Today, I didn't get the chance to do anything active and I'm considering skipping happy hour to go skating tomorrow. I've met those crazy people who can't go a day without exercise, and they usually freak me out. Here's hoping that my latest addiction sticks - even if I do freak out some other lazy people who haven't yet discovered they love rollerblading/biking/running/climbing/yoga/pilates yet.
Monday, June 02, 2008
Addiction and Obsessions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
ever hear the joke about learning how to rollerblade?
Q: What's the hardest part about learning how to rollerblade?
A: Telling your parents you're gay.
but seriously, if you ever want to ride bikes (buy a bike!) or play roller hockey, let me know, and i'm totally down.
I was conditioned during RISD to dislike rollerbladers --- there was a really douchey group of them there who seemed to be under the impression that rollerblades were road-worthy vehicles, and they could take up valuable bike-lane space with their ballcap-broseph bullshittery. They would run you over in the Quad without even looking back. So, just don't be that rollerblader, and we cool.
Having just discovered my own exercise obsession that others probably think is goofy, I gots no room to judge. Enjoy yourself, it feels good to move around and shit.
Also, I checked that article you linked to --- a 1 in 4 chance of lung cancer comes along with that gene...yikes! I dunno, man, with odds like that I'd still see about bucking the genetic code and quitting.
Post a Comment