Sunday, June 15, 2008

Our Little Patriot, or How Liberals Don't Really Hate America

From ages two until five, I lived on an air force base in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan called K.I. Sawyer. I still sleep in a ratty old t-shirt of my father's from there. My very first memories come from there. Though I don't remember it firsthand, my mother likes to tell the story about how, every day when they would broadcast the national anthem (1984 much?), I would force all of my toddler friends to line up and put their hands over their heart. I know it may come as a shock to some of you, but I was a bossy little kid. There was no getting out of this. My parents called me their "little patriot". Imagine how appalled they are 20 odd years later that I've become an America-hating liberal, right?

Well, first of all, no. My parents taught me to think for myself, and I don't think there's any greater testament to their success in that regard than to have raised two kids that are beyond even the average liberal.
And secondly, I don't hate America.

I know, right? Conservatives hate import cars and organic food and liberals hate freedom and America. Isn't that how it goes?

I've been tired of this bullshit since 9/11. In a country where free speech is the foundation, disagreeing with your government is, again, a testament to their success. The fact that I can rage on my blog about how much I hate certain politicians and policies is what makes this country great. You know what else makes it great? (I compiled much of this list while studying abroad in Barcelona for 9 months)

  • 24 hour stores
  • Peanut butter
  • Cheap(er) housing
  • Cheap(er) gas and utilities
  • Availability of 47 choices of shampoo
Etc. There were plenty of things that I missed about the U.S. when I didn't live here. Of course, there are many things that I miss about Europe now that I don't live there. It seems that no one can really be perfect (Surprise!).
Which brings me to Skepchick's post about patriotism. In it, she says:

"I think patriotism is too close to nationalism to be safe; both are just souped up versions of tribalism. These things lead to “us versus them” thinking and to conflict being preferred over cooperation. It’s OK to love your country. But to be proud just because you were born somewhere is ridiculous. To ignore the flaws of your country and to refuse to criticize your government is dumb. And to think your country is the only great (free, safe, healthy, etc.) nation in the world is just delusional."

We are all lucky to have been born into a country where abject poverty isn't the norm. One in which most of us have had the opportunity to get a good education, even beyond high school. Many of us have even lived in the upper 10% of the income bracket for much of our lives (which is, by the way, much lower than you think it is). Being born into middle or upper-middle class America doesn't make you the best, it makes you damn lucky. And yes, be proud that your parents worked hard, and their parents before them, to bring this into being. But don't think for a minute that this makes us entitled or better than anyone else. Skepchick:

"You know what? It’s OK not to be #1 in everything or anything. We don’t need to be a super power. We don’t need to constantly prove that we are better than everyone else. That’s just a sign of insecurity. That just leads to being a bully. Why can’t the US be happy — like everyone else is — just to be good? Why do we always have to convince ourselves that we are great, the greatest? Our collective arrogance is one of the things I hate about the US."

You don't have to be #1, either, you know. Let's just be happy being good at what we do - professions, personal relationships, cooking, making people laugh, whatever. I know we are all talented, wonderful people in some regard.
You, too, America. We think you're great, just a little full of yourself sometimes. And no one likes a braggart.

(Thanks to Eric for sharing Skepchick on Reader and sparking this whole thing.)

6 comments:

Kathleen said...

YAY! You know, a lot of the time I think we have differing opinions on political-ness/things, and maybe we do, but yay! Something I think we agree on. Zack and I literally went out to Friendly's last night and had this long conversation about America and our feelings towards her and her people. Zack always likes to bring up Eddie Vedder because apparenlty at some point he made a comment essentially saying "being patriotic and loving your country is great, following your leaders blindly is stupid. Being American means you can disagree, and should disagree with the people in power. This is how we keep the people in power in check." Again, my words, his general idea. When did it happen that the majority of Americans assume that things should be cheap, we should be allowed to do whatever we want and that we should just shut up, sit back and let the government make all our decisions for us? We were also watching the Tudors last night and I randomly mentioned to Zack "could you imagine living in a place where you couldn't practice whatever religion you wanted, or no religion at all for that matter. To constantly live in fear?" I'm so grateful I was born and live in America. However, I'm not so jaded that I think there is no where better to live. I just think it is good, and I do appreciate all of the things I was taught as a child that being an American is (that people did fight and die so that my grandparents could be raised Protestant, convert to Catholicism and then I could renounce both and be Pagan:). Also, I still cry at Scott Park on the fourth of July when they do the fireworks finale to "Proud to be an American" yeah, it's a gay song, but whatever, it strikes an emotional chord with me.
Sorry for the long rambly comment. Hopefully it at least makes some sense.

erk said...

I still believe the U.S.A. is the greatest country on earth - I just think it could be much, much better. But then again, I think that being an American means being permanently skeptical and unsatisfied - at least that's what it should mean.

On a tangentially related note, I offer these quotes from people smarter than I:

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
- Teddy Roosevelt

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
- Mark Twain

Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious.
- Oscar Wilde

The citizen who sees his society's democratic clothes being worn out and does not cry out is not a patriot but a traitor.
- Mark Twain

omegacow said...

I always wondered what the whole "We're NUMBER ONE!" thing was about. When did being a nation become a competition? Do we get a prize for being Number One? If so, I'm still waiting for mine. If anyone has gotten their prize already, could you please clue me in as to what it is?

Also, by what criteria do you judge Number One-ness? I've asked "We're No. 1" people this question and they never actually have an answer. SOMETIMES I get the answer, "Well we're the most free!" I then ask, "How do you measure freedom?"

freya said...

I got my prize. It was one of those inflatable couches, but then the cats sat on it and deflated it. Not a very good prize.

And you measure freedom by the number or pickup trucks and SUVs per capita. I thought everyone knew that.

Tim said...

We're hard-wired pack animals. Group and social creatures looking for the alpha to tell us what to do. We are naturally inclined to draw in-group, out-group lines, thus the country I live in is #1, and all ones are shit. Questioning the standing of the group and the alphas is tantamount to being different. You're no longer one of us, you're them, you must be an enemy and uninterested in the welfare of the group. Racism, Xenophobia, and Nationalism, amongst others, are spandrels of instinctual traits that allowed the Adams and the Eves of 50,000 BC to get by.

While I'm not saying it's an accountable trait if we intend to continue this thing we call the human species in a civilized manner, it certainly is something that you just can't explain out of people. It really needs to be beaten out of them and unlearned on the evolutionary level.

Reason and logic are relatively new traits compared to the instinct to fear and hate out-group ideas or creatures.

erk said...

I measure greatness in terms of Enlightenment values, though any attempt to really quantify is tail-chasing. As far as I know our Constitution was the first directly derived from liberty, popular sovereignty, and natural rights - as well as the first without enforced religion. The represents the first and best institutional attempt to banish tribalism, and to protect the minority from the majority. The odious institutions of slavery and women's non-suffrage were both overthrown (this is the same elsewhere in history, as far as I know), and we've maintained individual rights fairly well, though there are many obvious examples of encroachment, and vigilance is always required, lest fear of "them" be used to get the majority to abdicate rights for all.

So while "we're #1", or any other form of ranking is ultimately meaningless, I'd say our track record of liberty gets us somewhere near the top of the list.

Pack animals or not, the type of pack matters greatly, and fortunately we have something resembling free will in that matter, though obviously there are limits to our sovereignty.