Friday, June 27, 2008

She moves her body like a cyclone

In the lab that I work at, we have sister offices in both Hong Kong and Karlsruhe, Germany. This means we have a constant influx of German students who come here to study for a couple months. Lately, I have been making friends with them, and the latest group is just fantastic.
When they came to happy hour on Tuesday, they told me they were going to Matrix, a club here, on Thursday. Did I want to come? Free cover, dollar drinks. And dancing! No one ever wants to go dancing with me. And here are 4 boys that are perfectly willing to accompany me there. I was hoping with boys there that meant no random grinding from some guy or getting pinched as I walked through the crowd. Plus, boys who dance? This is a whole new breed for me.

So I decided that partying like a rockstar on a Thursday made me feel very not old and convinced Zac to come along. We went to the lab to pick everyone up. "Everyone" was 6 of us, which meant squeezing 4 in the backseat. Adventure time!

We arrive at Matrix and the boys have to drink copious amounts of drinks before they will come dance. Their drink of choice? Vodka and Coke. Blech. I sucked down 2 of them to speed things along, but that was the only alcohol I consumed the entire night.
Some highlights of the evening included:

  • Alexander, Zac, and I being stuck in the hip-hop* room when some sort of group dance that we did not know came on. We stared around in confusion, and I refused to try and fake it. People look pretty silly dancing in unison, especially as adults and looking like they are doing the electric slide with just a few modifications. It reminds me of this.
  • The Germans telling me that I "couldn't" wear jeans, so me in heels and a short skirt while they were all wearing jeans.
  • Marc confessing that he would be much happier to dance to metal than any of the music in the hip-hop* room.
  • Daniel switching places with me while dancing when the jerk behind me did not take the multiple hip checks and elbows I threw at him as a clue to back off.
  • The bouncer, who upon seeing my outfit said, "I like your outfit, but man, now I want a candy cane." (I was wearing a pink and white striped shirt, black skirt, knee socks with pink and black stripes, and black boots)
  • The first girl I saw with a skirt shorter than mine. Then the second, the third...after awhile, I started looking for ones longer than mine. It was much more difficult. As Marc put it, "I think you would have to just wear a belt to have the shortest skirt here."
  • Alexander insisting that I dance to "Baby Got Back", even though I was dead tired and wanted to sit, and grinning when I agreed.
  • Felix insisting on just "one more song" before we left (which turned into 5 or so). Otherwise, I would've missed "Yeah", so I'm not mad.
  • The boys insisting that we take Carson St. home because "there are so many memories" (I think they've only been in Pittsburgh a couple months...lol)
  • The guy who needed to use my cell at the gas station to call his girlfriend. She didn't pick up, but he asked me to relay this message to her if she called back: "your boyfriend is waiting to pick you up at the Exxon, and he's pissed". She wasn't too pleased when I told her that.
So, all in all, I have to say that Matrix was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Once these guys are gone, I'm going to have to continue making friends with the Germans to have dancing partners.

*Please note that hip-hop is used very loosely here to mean crappy top 40 danceable music that makes every girl dancing appear slutty because of the ass shaking involved. When I normally say hip-hop, I mean hip-hop, indie or otherwise, including, but not limited to: El-P, Aesop Rock, RJD2, Wu Tang, Dr. Octagon, Gorillaz, etc.

9 comments:

Kathleen said...

"AND SHE MAKES ME WANNA DO IT ALL NIGHT LONG""
I never understood why our high school prom didn't have choreographed dances...very disapointing. Dawn and I found the dance in Boys and Girls to be much more fun http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMEN1vYpy1k we tried for most of the summer between sophmore and junior year to learn the dance. It's actually pretty darn hard. Anyway, glad you had fun with the germans. No one ever wants to go to Matrix with me either, I've only been there once! And I was with a bunch of guys who don't dance at all, so I have no idea why we went there.

Tanski said...

I have to agree with the Hip Hop room everytime my ex and I went there it was strange because even if you feel as if you are about to drop from exhaustion there are enough people to fall on so that you never hit the floor. It's also the only room that I ever saw men at least attemptiI ng to dance in. Yes, they do it in the other rooms but they don't seem to do it with the same vigor. The other strange thing is the Velvet Room. They consider it a fourth dance floor but I rarely see people dancing there I would just call it a makeout room. Still the place is a lot of fun. Good memories.

Unknown said...

I'll go any time!

Unknown said...

Oh and my favorite story of the night was when I was just standing and talking with my friend (a guy no less) and all of a sudden I noticed that there was some random guy doing the (I'm not sure how else to describe it) arms bent, elbows out, chest pumping, nasty dance, sort of at me (can you picture it?). I got this horrified look on my face, and my friend actually picked me up and moved me away from this guy. ugh randoms.

Tanski said...

Yep they are random in some cases scary and very brazen.

freya said...

Julie - exactly what I was trying to avoid. I can't believe they did that while you with another guy...weird!

Tim said...

I believe it is known as the humpty dance. It is your chance to do the hump. It was invented by a man who's name is pronounced with an Umpty.

Tanski said...

Well however invented it women should be glad they did at least we get to find out which guys have rythmn and which guys don't.

Fred said...

Glad you appreciate your Germanness ;) I'm also sad I couldn't join. Looks like I missed out on something :(