Friday, June 20, 2008

But not me, JP. I've got you to save me!

In high school, once I decided that I didn't want to be like everyone else, it was easy to become different. Don't wear trendy clothes, don't hang out with people you don't like just because they're popular. Easy enough. As an adult, though, it tends to be harder. I do still live in the city (well, sort of). I still don't wear trendy clothes, and I hang out with people that I adore. I don't know if we're popular or not (there's no one left to judge, really), and I don't care.
So, while becoming adults and lawyers and teachers and whatnot, there's not much to distinguish us from the rest of the world. Having a mohawk or being goth is a little cliched at this point. Plus, I do still have to work.
So I decided to change that in a slightly-subtle and still-psuedo-professional way. I got my nose pierced!

It's just a cute little stud, and it's not very noticeable, but I love it. It makes me feel like I have my own little rebel flag flying on my face. Take that, conformist America! You'll never get me!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha I agree. Plus it looks super cute on you. It's funny, I am in super corporate America, but no one ever says anything. I like to think it's because I'm *shh!* Asian, and people might be worried it's a "cultural thing" that they're not aware of and they don't want to seem culturally insensitive. hehe

Unknown said...

I am fortunate in that both of the professional worlds I've inhabited (design departments and libraries) are really very tolerant of tasteful facial modifications and things like visible tattoos. But the teeny single nose stud is rapidly being accepted by all but the most uptight corporate environments.

Unknown said...

(Also, I bet it looks cute on you.)

erk said...

Back when such things were kinda sorta in vogue, and I was working my first corporate gig at PPG, I considered getting my ear pierced. I was at the mall with Charlotte's 60 and 64 year old parents, and their 68 year old friend, and Charlotte talked them all into getting their ears pierced. Yep, including her dad, who still wears it proudly.

I chickened out. I'm not sure I actually regret it, but I did at the time. I'm a conformist at heart, at least when it comes to appearance, so I've settled into a standard male pattern baldness, y'know, just to fit in. :-)

freya said...

Not everyone has to say their "fuck you" to the man by appearance, Eric. I'm sure you stick it to him in other ways. =)