Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Amazon.com reviews


while shopping for items that I don't know much about, I find that a lot of times reviews will steer me in one direction or another. if everyone posts about the same coffee pot spontaneously combusting, I'm going to buy the other one. if there are mixed reviews, it becomes much more difficult. however, there are those reviews that I just don't understand. here's my latest favorite Amazon review. it's of the iDog, the plastic dog that projects your iPod through its mini speakers and dances a bit to the music. this is what the lady said:

"Bought this toy for my daughter for Christmas assuming it would be reasonably intelligent and actually do something. Beware...it doesn't. I'm still not sure what it does other than make a few movements based off the music. Plus have plenty of batteries on hand as it eats batteries to the tune of 2+ per day."

I posted the following comment to what I believe to be a ridiculously unfair review:

""assuming it would be reasonably intelligent"?? It's an electronic device, not a college professor.
"I'm still not sure what it does other than make a few movements based off the music." - well, honey, that's what it's supposed to do. My vacuum cleaner doesn't wash dishes, but I don't give it a bad review because of that.
I don't own this thing, but your complaints drive me crazy. They're rooted in high expectations of something that is plastic, less than $30, and does only what is advertised. It's not a real dog!"

I'm really curious as to what she was expecting. I think the eating batteries complaint is valid, but the other comments? gimme a break.

here's another oldie-but-a-goodie. discussing an air released treatment for cats that helps them stop spraying:

"My cat stopped urinating after plugging in the diffuser. It's well worth it to not have to worry about pet stains and odor."

here's the thing. she only gave the product 4 stars. what else does this device need to do in order to get that extra star? sounds like it did all that was promised! were you disappointed that it didn't give you interesting topics to discuss on your blind date? were you hoping to wake up every morning and find that it had made you coffee?

maybe it just wasn't intelligent enough for her.