Friday, March 30, 2007

I am a guitar hero


some of you may know of the obsession. some of you only may have heard of the game. and some of you may be clueless.

my friends and I have turned into heroes. guitar heroes.

I blame Silent Bob. one innocent day, he brought it to Will and Shannon's. I'm sure he was aware of the chaos that would ensue. because, really, who can play that game and not immediately need it?
thanks to my raise/bonus, the day after playing it, I took JP to Game Stop. we walked in about 10 minutes after they opened, and I told the still-drinking-his-coffee salesguy that I needed a PS2, guitar hero 2, 2 guitars, DDR, and 2 dance pads (because why would you own a PS2 and NOT DDR? come on!). he gathered everything together as JP grinned next to me. and then we took it home.

my life has changed. the way I listen to music is heavily affected. I no longer hear the soulful lyrics belted out or even the whining of emo anymore. I hear the guitar. and bass.

does that solo sound too hard?
that bass line would be really tough, even on medium!
listen to that great guitar work on the chorus!

the words "this would be a really good guitar hero song!" pass from my lips on a daily basis. it's the source of most of JP and I's conversations in the car. if NPR isn't on, I'm patrolling the stations for the newest good guitar hero song. I wonder if they take requests?

and it's not just me. Shannon does it. Will and Kara, too. and when Zac arrived on Wednesday, we sat him down and told him the truth: we are all addicted to guitar hero.
he was surprised to learn that in the 3 weeks he had been out of the country, we managed to find something so all-consuming. I think we've managed to suck him in though.

and now we learn there is merchandise. I have to have something. I'm torn about what I want my guitar hero message to the world to be. I can't get the "I play on expert!" or "I use all the frets!" because I don't. but guitar hero girl? I'm totally considering it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you outed all of us. The sad thing? I'm considering taking the PS2 and guitars to my parents house to make them play. We need help!

Wonder Woman said...

When I am listening to the radio I no longer hear the songs...I see green red yellow blue and orange dots flying towards me. Songs like Heart Shaped Box and Woman are ruined for me. If they could somehow make it into a computer game I would never leave my home. I do believe I need therapy. Lots and lots of therapy. I am seriously considering buying a shirt.

Unknown said...

I have never played Guitar Hero, but I know well the DDR addiction. My dance pad is broken, and I been jonesin' lately. le sigh.

Katy said...

we could bring our ddr cd over to your house and take turns, so we could all experience fresh songs. have you done neverending story lately? do they have that for guitar hero? because i could get into that.