I am a crazy multi-tasker. I don't believe in doing just one thing if it can be helped. right now, I have 3 tabs on Firefox, 2 excel files, a notepad file, and 'my documents' open. I have used all of them in the past 15 minutes. most of them are unrelated. I would be listening to my iPod, but it's charging at the moment. I listen to my iPod on any walk that I take throughout the day. I watch tv while uploading my latest photos or adding to my iTunes library. I listen to my iPod while cleaning. I talk on the phone while on the bus, if I'm not reading. I read while waiting for the bus, standing up. when I used to smoke, I would go outside by myself and read for the 6 minutes it took me to smoke a cigarette. I drink water while talking on the phone while walking to the bus stop while rifling through my bag for my planner/quarters/lip balm/whatever.
now, I'm sure some of you would say this is how I manage to make life a struggle and hurt myself so often. and there are about a bazillion reports out there on how multi-tasking is actually the least productive thing you can do. but I can't help it. I feel like I need the stimulation.
work has been really busy this week. like, really busy. I've-been-eating-lunch-at-my-desk busy. and about 15 minutes ago, I had had enough. so I got up and walked out the back door, not really knowing what I was doing. I had my id to get back in the building and the key to my office. and that was it. no purse, no money, no iPod, no phone, no book, no nothing. so I walked around the block.
I watched a high school kid almost miss a bus and run full speed down the street to catch it. I saw 3 girls jogging in exercise clothing, accompanied by their male friend wearing a shirt and tie (also jogging). I saw a woman break into a jog to meet someone and give them a hug. there was a chick wearing this really cute plaid skirt (a la punk rock, not Britney), tall boots, and with bleached blonde fluffy hair in a high ponytail. she was adorable. I heard all the traffic, a car alarm, and then was amazed when I walked around the back of my building and was met with near silence. is this what I've been missing? I feel like I smiled the whole time. and I got that "good" feeling. you ever get that? it sorta just wells up in me that everything really is great, and that suddenly it's not such a big deal that I use paper towels to dry my hands (not environmentally friendly!) or that some guy cut me off on the way to work (angerfying!) or that there were a bunch of things to do today (finish work, do dishes, make brownies, hang out with LeeAnn, resist smoking). I'm even less stressed about my messy, messy desk.
I feel good.
I guess sometimes you just have to stop the multi-tasking and see everything for a moment.
Thursday, March 22, 2007
less bitchy, more philosophical
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Paper towels are more environmentally friendly than towels. Forests are managed to create paper products, it creates jobs (ala my fiance), and they are biodegradable. Towels however must be washed and depending who is doing the washing and where, could be putting many more pollutants into streams and groundwater. Other than that, I'm glad you found your happy place:) And hopefully the previous statement only takes more off of your mind and doesn't make you think I'm a bitch.
seriously, what's up with multi-tasking? why do i feel like my brain needs to be entirely occupied for every INSTANT? what bad thing will happen if i just sit at the red light instead of using that time to send text messages? i think i might implode one day soon. maybe we should move to montana?
Post a Comment