Over the past few years, I have spent much of my reading time exploring the world of young adult fiction. While it has been around for awhile (many claim The Catcher and the Rye to be the original young adult novel), it has really taken off in recent years. When I was a young adult, I had the choice of Christopher Pike, Sweet Valley High, and an occasionally Lois Lowry book. I did love these, but they have not followed me well into adulthood. Things have improved immensely since these books were aimed at me, and I'm almost constantly astounded at these authors who take themes relevant to people of all ages and present them to impressionable youth. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a mother-in-law that's a teacher, a friend that's a youth librarian, and a friend going to school to be a high school English teacher to help me choose. I have recommendations out the wazoo for what I should check out next. The list is endless.
But my favorite of all is Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl. At its core, Stargirl is about discovering yourself and trying (or not trying) to fit in. While most in the forefront of your brain as a teenager, it really is a story that even adults can relate to. Who are we, deep down? Is changing yourself for other people ever a good idea? Would we be happier as part of the norm? It's an honest look at this and isn't presented in such black and white as to feel preachy. There is a sequel, Love, Stargirl as well. While not quite as good as the first (as sequels rarely are), it does give you the little extra bit of story that you wanted at the end of Stargirl. I got the boxed set of both for my birthday this year, and it came with a set of magnets. I immediately put the magnets on my refrigerator, scattered about. Every time I go to the fridge, I take a moment to find and read the little messages. It sounds cheesy and like some silly self-improvement mantra that you chant to yourself, but I can't help it. They make me feel better. They make me feel like it's ok to be confused, stressed, and unsure of things. We all are. And isn't that important? To feel like we all have someone who can commiserate with us? Even if it is just a fictional character, it rings true. So I leave you with my magnet mantras.
Inhabit your moments.
I am not a typical girl.
I feel the need to be alone.
Will we ever meet again?
Okay, so you're not perfect. Who is?
None of us gets it right all the time.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Stargirl
Labels:
literature and reading
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I wish oryx and crake came with fridge magnets.
Post a Comment