My apartment has been free of any toxic and non-biodegradable cleaning products for well over a year now, and I have to say that I don't miss them one bit. As I continue my one-woman crusade to save the world, my next stop was the bathroom - specifically the shower.
I love bath and beauty products, but I was starting to feel guilty about dumping all that sodium laureth sulfate down the drain. I have also reasonably guessed that since it's not good for the environment, it's not good for me and my body, either. So I bought a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap as body wash and some organic shampoo. The shampoo was awful. It made my hair feel both greasy and like straw. So I bought another one, and it's ok, but my hair is still feeling a little weird. Before I bought any more, I figured some research was in order, and I discovered the "no-poo" movement. Yes, you're going to think I'm crazy.
In not using shampoo, you still want to remove dirt and grime from your hair, without stripping all the natural oils out, which is what conventional shampoo does. The solution? 1 tablespoon baking soda dissolved in 1 cup of warm/hot water. Massage it on your scalp and through your hair and rinse well. You can also create a "rinse" that conditions your hair by making a solution of 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of warm water. Same procedure. I didn't have any apple cider vinegar, but I tried the baking soda solution. I also used my organic leave-in conditioner.
Now, my hair is still wet as we speak, so I don't know how exactly it will feel later, but right now all I can smell is wet dog, and I have a feeling it's my hair. I may abandon this, unless somehow my hair is gorgeous and shiny and perfect later.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
No-poo
Labels:
health and wellness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
U-no poo! The constipation sensation that is sweeping the nation!
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Post a Comment