Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"You're the only one."

If you hang out with JP and me often enough, you will hear him say to me (fairly frequently), "Why do you struggle through life so much?" I know part of it is my own fault sometimes. Chopping things while on rollerskates - not a good idea. Trying to stack 7 drinking glasses in my arms to avoid an extra trip of 5 feet from the dishwasher to the cabinet - just plain silly. Add these sorts of things to my natural inclination towards clumsiness and you get a difficult life. But other than my misinterpretation of a pregnancy test, this one really takes the cake.

Yesterday, Tim and I went to Giant Eagle. We went through the self-checkout line. He went first, and I bagged for him. I had more groceries, so when I was done ringing out, I went to help him finish bagging. We got everything together and left, with me complaining the whole time about how slow the people in front of us were. We drove the 5 minutes home, and I was getting my groceries out of the back seat when I looked at Tim and said, "I didn't pay for my groceries." He asked me if I was sure, and I thought about it. I had walked down to the other end to help him bag, and then just walked out. I couldn't remember swiping my card, entering my pin, getting a receipt - nothing. So I went inside and called Giant Eagle.
I had to talk to about 4 people before someone told me that I needed to come back in to pay for them. I put away my cold things, got back in the car, drove back, and went to the cashier in the front. I explained it to the guy there, and he rang me out, with me apologizing the whole time. As I was getting ready to leave, I said to him, "I can't be the only one who's done this, right?" to which he replied, "Well, you're the only one who wasn't actually trying to steal to do this. I've been here awhile, and I've never had anyone call us. We usually find them and call them." I apologized again, and he was super nice about it ("No, thanks for calling and coming back. We really appreciate this."), but I have to say that I felt so incredibly stupid. Still do, in fact.
I'm just glad that I remembered, since I had swiped my Advantage card and they would have known it was me. If I had been banned from this Giant Eagle, we would have been screwed. It's where I do 90% of my grocery shopping. JP just chuckled when I explained it to him. I think he knew I wasn't in the position to take any grief over it at that moment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

sorry.

hahahahahhahaha...ok sorry. Well at least we know what happens now. I always assumed there would be sirens and lasers from the self-checkout machine if it detected a shift in weight without money insertion...i wonder what happened when the next person came up to find they already owned $200 without scanning anything?

freya said...

Yes, I wondered that, too.
And apparently there is supposed to be someone monitoring it somehow, but she must've flaked. The guy who checked me out said she would be grateful because she would've been in big trouble if her "drawer" was $82 short.

Katy said...

once in new jersey, corey and i went to trader joe's and had carts and carts full of food plus a whole case of wine. i realized when we got to the car that nobody had scanned or paid for the entire case of wine that was sitting under the cart. i went back inside and nobody quite knew what to do about it. they were totally un-used to people coming back in and they gave me a free bouquet of roses for being so honest.

LostintheHoller said...

You shoulda kept it all. All the items are marked up so high that the grocery store is stealing from you every time you swipe your card anyway.

erk said...

I'm not laughing in the least - that sounds exactly like something I might do. I've done far more absent-minded things... like leaving a shopping center forgetting that Charlotte was with me and that I needed to circle around to pick her up.

Kathleen said...

Once Zack and I bought a case of pop from the Walmart in Robinson and had it on the bottom of our cart. I made a big deal about heaving it up so they could scan it, then when we went out to the car, I put the light things in, and Zack took the cart to the uhh...cart thingie. When we got home and unpacked I asked him where the pop was. "What pop?" he asked me. He apparently didn't remember me struggling to lift it for the cashier and didn't notice it underneath our cart. So, someone in the walmart parking lot found a nifty present in their cart.