Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wair iz best fwend?

Yesterday, my in-laws were over for a little bit in the afternoon. We were hanging out in the living room, and I happened to walk past Odessa while she was sitting on her favorite dining room chair. Normally when you walk past her, she gives a little meow to remind you that she is there and would like some lovin'. This time, I walked past and she started yelling.
I know, I know, cats don't yell. But Odessa tried her damndest. She was meowing with such volume and distress that I was immediately concerned. I looked at their food and water - both full. I had just cleaned their litterbox earlier that day, so that couldn't be it. Plus, this was more than annoyed - she sounded very worried. My next thought was that something was wrong with Sirius.

funny pictures
moar funny pictures

I enlisted JP's help and we started to hunt for Sirius. Nowhere in the apartment. He does have a bad habit of trying to leave the apartment, but we have a small foyer with a fire door that he can't get out of, so if he gets accidentally shut out there, he yowls after a few minutes and then we hear him and let him back in. I checked the foyer, no Sirius. We rechecked the apartment, no Sirius. We finally thought to check the rest of the apartment building to see if he had somehow made it past the fire door.
Bingo!
He was on the third floor (where the fire door is propped open to their foyer), sitting in front of our upstairs counterparts' apartment, screaming his bloody cat lungs out. His yowling was so loud and mournful. JP went upstairs and grabbed him, and he still cried the whole way back into our apartment. Once he was inside again, both the cats calmed down. They ignored each other, and moved to their separate (but equal) spots.

I was truly amazed at both their distress. I don't know if Odessa could hear him up on the third floor or if she just knew he wasn't there, but she knew something was very wrong and very clearly told me. And Sirius is such a badass most of the time that I never imagined him sounding so sad and scared, thinking he was trapped in the apartment stairwell forever.
Poor kittehs. That's probably the scariest thing that's ever happened to them.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Omg! That is the cutest/sadest thing I have ever heard! Tubby and Lulu get very upset if the other is not around, but they are practically attached at the hip most of the time, so I guess it's a bit different.

Josh said...

Cats keep it real--when the shit hits the fan, they'll level with you.

On an unrelated note, does Odessa remind anyone of Butters in that photo? Oh, hamburgers.