Wednesday, July 11, 2007

wow...harsh!

when JP and I got engaged, there was much discussion about changing my name. I was open to many ideas, some of which were immediately dismissed by him (both of us adopting a new last name, him taking my name) and another that was quickly dismissed by me (hyphenation - have you ever tried to alphabetize hyphenated names?? it's pure chaos!). so I finally decided to just go ahead and change my name. I figured the people who thought I was giving up a part of my identity or not a strong enough woman to keep my maiden name obviously didn't know me. I also didn't want to deal with the questions of why I didn't want to change my name for the rest of my life. so I happily became a Fridy.
once I had made this decision, JP looks at me and says, "Ha! Now you'll finally know what it's like to have an unpronounceable name!" to which I replied, "Babe, my name is Freya. At least people can pronounce your first name!"
over the years, I've grown to love my name. up until I was 15 or so, I definitely wanted to change it. once I started to meet people who knew its etymology, it was really cool to be Freya! they were always quite impressed. plus it was nice to be unique.
fast forward to the other day, when I come across this site: behind the name. I looked up my name, expecting to get no results. But it was there! 76 people had rated my name based on a little quiz of adjectives that they give you. and people find my name to be:
not so bad, I thought. I checked its popularity, and it was the 23rd most popular name in Wales last year. whooo hoooo!
so then I go to read the comments about my name. some of them are quite nice:

"I think Freya is a beautiful, strong yet feminine name, and I love the mythology that goes with it."

"Awesome name. Don't know why it hasn't been picked up in the States."

but some are terrible! listen to this:

"No offense, but there is something about this name I just don't like. It doesn't even sound pretty. If it was my name I would go for a legal name change."

"Urg, I just don't like this name. It sounds too ... I don't know."

I'm guessing that I don't know these people, but still...I'm very saddened by these comments. Is that what people think when they hear my name?
more importantly, why do I care that some schmuck says? I think it's because throughout my life, if someone said "Freya", it was about me. always! there wasn't ever really another reference. so it feels pretty personal.

2 comments:

Wonder Woman said...

I went to the site to check out my name. I am strage, simple, and nerdy. That just about sums me up.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad you picked the name you did, Mr. & Mrs. Beanhead has a nice ring to it!