Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ineptitude vs. falsehoods

There's nothing I like better than a rant about Comcast. It's been awhile since I was displeased with them, so I really thought they had straightened themselves out. The eternal optimist is disappointed yet again.

In November or December, I called Comcast to talk about my service with them. We had cable and internet. They just introduced digital voice here, and had a great deal going on. So I asked about it. I also wanted to cancel my Showtime, since I don't need it until Tudors starts their second season (ooooo, I can't wait!). After at least a half an hour on the phone with this girl, we had it all straightened out. Showtime would be canceled, we'd get a phone line, HBO, and our bill would only go up by like $3 a month. Pretty sweet deal, I thought. So I went for it. A few days later, I go to watch our DVRed Project Runway episode. It's blank. That's weird. Just a fluke, I imagine. Fine. It records it a second time then next day. Still blank. Weird! JP and Tim are there and one of them suggests that I check and make sure that we are still getting Bravo. Nope! In fact, we've lost every channel over 100. Argh. So I get our January bill, the first with all these changes. It's $30 more than what we were paying before, which includes the $30 installation fee for the phone. Wait a minute. So our bill is the same and we've LOST channels? I'm pissed. I rant. I don't bother calling until almost a month later (today). I was reminded of this because I paid my Comcast bill, which was $10 more than what I was paying before. Argh!
Today I talk to someone about this and I get this explanation: the original girl didn't lie to me about this. She just never canceled the Showtime, which I have been charged $17.95 for. She also never added the "Digital Plus" to my service, which is $12.95. It took a good 20 minutes to figure this out, and I have to admit I was not nice or pleased with the people I talked to, since I thought the girl had just straight up lied to me.

Now I don't know what to think. Is it more forgivable that she was just completely a moron and never did anything that I called and asked her to do? Would it have been better to think that she was trying to wring more money out of me and my already-ridiculously-high cable bill?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. Good question. I guess it'd be worse if she lied on purpose and was trying to be vindictive. But blatantly failing at one's job (a rather easy one at that) isn't all that great either. And don't worry, I have to argue with Comcast on a regular basis as well.