Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Judd Apatow

A lot happened over this crazy 11 days off that I had, and I may eventually blog about it. But at the moment, I want to talk about Judd Apatow.
For those that don't know him, Judd Apatow is a writer/director/producer. Most people know him from Knocked Up, The 40-year Old Virgin, and Superbad. I've been a fan since he did Freaks and Geeks, the critically acclaimed but canceled show about high school in 1981. Lindsay, the main character, is like my high school doppelganger. It's like reliving being 17.
Now, while I watch a lot of TV and a decent amount of movies that I thoroughly enjoy, I don't find that I necessarily relate to most of it beyond the whole, "I'm a member of the human race and I've felt sad before." I do get obsessed with characters that aren't necessarily like me, but they don't always pull at my heartstrings.
Not with Judd Apatow, though. Everything he does totally and completely relates to my own life. Is he really the only one to have believable nerdy-yet-cool guys? I think he might be. Since my entire life is filled with men that are like this, and I proclaim myself to be a girl like this, it's amazingly comforting to watch. Seeing someone on screen do or say something that is completely, 100% what you or someone you know would say or do gives me that sickeningly sentimental Gods-I-want-to-cry-now feeling.

So, here's the question. These are all popular movies that the general populace has embraced. Are we all a bunch of dorks deep down, or are most of these people laughing at me and not with me?

Below are the lyrics to the Loudon Wainwright III's song, Daughter, that plays at the end of Knocked Up. I can't get it out of my head, so I thought I'd subject you to it as well. You can watch him singing it live right here.

Everything she sees
she says she wants.
Everything she wants
I see she gets.

That's my daughter in the water
everything she owns I bought her
Everything she owns.
That's my daughter in the water,
everything she knows I taught her.
Everything she knows.

Everything I say
she takes to heart.
Everything she takes
she takes apart.

That's my daughter in the water
every time she fell I caught her.
Every time she fell.
That's my daughter in the water,
I lost every time I fought her.
I lost every time.

Every time she blinks
she strikes somebody blind.
Everything she thinks
blows her tiny mind.
That's my daughter in the water,
who'd have ever thought her?
Who'd have ever thought?
That's my daughter in the water,
I lost every time I fought her
Yeah, I lost every time.

No comments: