Today I went into the office because I had to turn in my time card in order to be paid. I was disappointed to see that my boss, friend, and smoking partner wasn't in. So I decided to just stay a half day and then go back another day this week for a half day so that I could see her. JP had already taken the car from the bus stop, but I didn't mind because today is absolutely gorgeous. Like, 60 and cloudy with occasional bursts of sun. Lovely.
So the bus stop we use is in Edgewood, the same neighborhood we live in. Edgewood is approximately .9 square miles and has a population of about 3,300 people. I'm guessing that 3,290 of them have money. It's a nice neighborhood. We have one of the best elementary schools in the state less than a block away from us, and we also host the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf.
Anyways. So I'm walking the 15 minutes or so home and just bopping along to my iPod. I go to cross the main drag, Edgewood Avenue, at a stop sign. This is directly across from the School for the Deaf. This slightly-older-than-middle-aged man jumps out into the street wearing his bright yellow vest and "stops" the nonexistent traffic for me. Then I need to cross a somewhat large driveway immediately after this. He once again throws himself in harm's way to let me cross. I smile and thank him. Not one block farther down, I come to the "big" intersection in Edgewood. It is equipped with a pedestrian cycle no matter what time of day (which is infuriating when driving around midnight or so). Another crossing guard. He literally stops the traffic from going through the green light so that I can cross the street. Seriously? I'm not a kindergartener! I can wait! It's cool! But, alas, here in Edgewood, my 1% local tax is allowing me to cross when I see fit. No need to worry about the lights. It's all about me.
Monday, January 07, 2008
The Privileged Few
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment