Thursday, April 12, 2007

a closet Blink 182 fan

last night, I was doing dishes and listening to my iPod. in my library are 4 Blink 182 cds.
yes, I am a Blink 182 fan.
upon careful listening, I realized that while I still sing and bop around to Blink, it no longer rings as true as it did when I was 15, 16, 17, 18. in fact, it hasn't been insightful to me since I met JP. and then I realized something:
emo is crack for 16 year olds!
it preys on your miserableness. no wonder emo kids are so freakin annoying! I used to lap that shit up. any song about pain or love turned sour used to be about me and my current failing relationship or my past failed relationships. now that I have a happy, healthy (unless you count all the ice cream eating we do) relationship, songs about these things are no longer something I want to listen to. they have no relevance in my life.

I'm still going to dance around the kitchen to Blink, though. but I won't really listen to what they have to say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God! Someone finally understands! Don't get me wrong, I still listen to my share of it too. But my little 14 and 15 year old cousins who call themselves "Emo-girls" and say they only live because of music are really starting to piss me off!

Unknown said...

hahahahaha...as someone who spent the majority of her teens wearing black lipstick and too much eye makeup, I can tell you definitively that goth kids are at least as annoying as emo kids. Possibly more, even - at least emo kids aren't always quoting Rimbaud at you.

Tim said...

I'm sure that there is some device in the brain, not unlike the LD, that switches off around 22 or 23, thus making it impossible to enjoy Weezer anymore.