I am an AVID ice cream fan. I totally blame my father for this, as he eats ice cream virtually every day and has since I can remember. since I do try to eat healthy, I buy ice cream only when I really, really want it, and I try to just buy a pint or two. one of my favorite things to do is buy 2 pints of different flavors and then watch tv (lately, Alias) with JP and eat out of the cartons, switching flavors between us. seriously, if I were ever to want a divorce, I think a tv/ice cream night would fix it all. but anyways...
usually, I am the craver of the ice cream. if we get it, it's because I want it. JP doesn't crave sweets the way I do, so he has much more self control when it comes to things like this. however, JP doesn't like light ice cream. I find it to be a perfectly acceptable alternative, and it lowers the guilt factor so much, but he claims it's too fluffy and makes him burp (which I think is possibly the weirdest reaction to non-carbonated food possible. but whatever). so Edy's Slow Churned Chocolate Chocolate Chunk is out of the question, even though it's one of my absolute faves.
so yesterday, we're strolling through Giant Eagle. and we walk past the ice cream. JP stops. I was shocked. would he really be the one to suggest ice cream?? and he was. so we look, and Haagen-Dazs pints are on sale. yay! we pick their "extra creamy light" mint chocolate chip and Mayan chocolate. I like Haagen-Dazs's mint chocolate chip because it's not green (they only use all natural products in their ice creams), and who doesn't like dark chocolate + cinnamon? JP is willing to try the different brand of light ice cream.
so we eat the ice cream.
even though it has been decided that I am the "most religious" out of Will, Shannon, JP, and I, I am not a God-fearing person. I have had a couple of touching spiritual moments in my life. one involved a Zeppelin laser show (and something to go along with it). this was another.
Mayan chocolate is almost indescribably good. it's a rich, chocolate-y ice cream that's not terribly sweet, swirled with ribbons of spicy cinnamon. I'm going to sound like a pretentious gourmand here, but the flavors are so perfectly matched and balanced. it's an experience that must be shared with others.
please, do yourself a favor and go get a pint. then tell me what you think about it in the comments.
oh, and JP liked the Haagen-Dazs light. I don't know if the price guilt makes up for the light-ness, but we'll see.
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Mayan chocolate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you must understand that i will be purchasing a pint of mayan chocolate ice cream now! how am i going to get through my day with this on my mind???
Post a Comment