I have always assumed that when it came down to it, in an emergency, I would be calm and collected. I like to think that I could be the voice of reason after a fire or car accident, or whatever. while I may be overdramatic at times (I know! you're thinking, Freya? never! but it's true!), I can control it.
last night, I'm walking down my hallway towards the bedroom. it's dark. there's something on the floor. what do I do? turn on the light, maybe? no. I poke at it with my bare foot. why I thought this was the best way to determine what the mysterious object was, I'm not sure. feeling something unlike a cat toy or cat vomit, I'm confused (this comes back to WHY I poked at it if I thought it might be cat vomit, I know.). so now I turn on the light.
dead mouse.
on my carpet.
in my hallway.
so you know what I do? do I praise the cats for their hunting prowess? do I calmly go get a paper plate or something to pick up the mouse and take it outside?
no. I screech and scream and freak out. I start jumping around, just in case there are more dead mice that I'm accidentally touching. and then I press my back against the wall and use my (now soiled) feet to hold myself up, so I'm no longer touching the de-consecrated hall carpeting where a mouse has met its demise. JP has to come and take it away. naturally, my next step was to look all over the apartment for other dead mice. finding none, I am somewhat relieved.
and then I wake up this morning, get myself ready. sorta stumble on a laundry bag I have sitting in the living room. and out runs a mouse. directly into my foyer closet. JP is still sorta sleeping, so I'm trying not to make noise, but he heard my mouse gasp from the bedroom. and I don't know why I was trying to be quiet because the first thing I did after seeing the mouse was run into the bedroom to tell him about it.
so, I can't decide. what's worse, a dead mouse or a live one?
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
I am such a girl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Maybe the question should be, which is worse, a surprise mouse or an anticipated mouse?
Dead or alive, mice are cool and fascinating if you know when and where you will be seeing them, and for how long. OK, dead mice aren't that cool. But the point is, it's not the mouse that freaks us out, it's the sudden violation of our controlled, safe living areas by life from the outside.
If you knew there was going to be a dead mouse in your hallway, you wouldn't have imagined the floor was contaminated.
both are better than UNDEAD MICE!
Okay, after this morning, I can say definitively: dead is worse. Especially if it's very dead.
On a completely unrelated topic, never let your dirty clothes hamper fester in your laundry room for two weeks. And if you smell something funky at the bottom of it, for god's sake don't lift that towel AAAAAIIIIGGGH...
(Seriously, it was like Hellraiser down there. I'm pretty sure I have PTSD now. And I will definitely have nightmares about zombie mice for the next fortnight or so.)
Post a Comment