Friday, April 13, 2007

I just can't win!

being socially conscious is something that I pride myself on. in fact, my number one road rage comment is "you socially unconscious jackass!" to an SUV that doesn't appear to be used for off-roading (which is all but the one really, really muddy one I saw once. but that might have been just a yuppie ploy to get me to like them.). now, I don't know if "socially unconscious" is really the opposite of socially conscious, but I say it is.
anyways...
I do try to do as much as I can to be a socially responsible citizen. I will only buy manual transmission small cars (they get better gas mileage). I use travel mugs for my coffee instead of buying it somewhere every day. and if I do buy coffee, I'll keep the cup for at least that day, in case I want more. and then I'll use it again. I don't litter. once I finish using the tail end of a couple more cleaning products, my house will be a chemical-free cleaning zone. I buy in bulk and store in my own containers to prevent waste. I get angry when I see things "individually wrapped".
HOWEVER...
there is so much more that I could be doing. I still use paper towels and napkins. my toilet paper isn't the recycled kind. I love Ziploc bags with a passion that is embarrassing. I drive to work a lot of the time, even though I could take the bus. I leave a light on in the living room at all times for the cats. etc., etc., etc.

my point is that no matter what I do, it's either just not good enough or I have to pick between principles. packing lunches: do I buy individually wrapped things or do I buy a big bag and put them in my own individual bags? grocery shopping: do I go to Whole Foods and support the local products that they sell or go to Giant Eagle and support unionization (which the founder of Whole Foods is totally against)? produce: is it better to buy organic that was shipped from California or pesticide treated things from the Carolinas? dishwashing: do I use less water using the dishwasher (only when it's totally full!) or washing dishes by hand? books: is it better that I be ignorant or encourage the destruction of forests to make books? (ok, maybe that was a bit of a stretch. but you know what I mean!)

I feel like I just can't win! someone tell me the correct side of things. and please don't suggest that I become like this guy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you worry too much! :)

Wonder Woman said...

Ok..now I worry about what you think of me. I have a giant SUV (that has been used many many many times for hauling people and their house items during moves..and off roading twice), I have strawberry shortcake ziplock bags. I throw coffee cups out when I am done with them. But during the week I do carry my own travel mug due to a severe caffeine addiction. I shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and East End Co-Op, but I do also shop at Giant Eagle and Shop N Save. I use paper towels with abandon.

But on a different note. Even if you do the smallest thing to help, you are doing something good for the environment. You don't need to be wonder woman. I commend you for what you are doing, but you don't need to save the planet all by yourself. You have other things to do, like play guitar hero.

Now that I know that you are a grammar and an environment nazi, I fear you more and more every day.

:-)

freya said...

Kara-
you do not drive your SUV hypocritically. first of all, I'm guessing you didn't get it so that you and yours will survive a car crash but others won't. secondly, you didn't buy it as a status symbol. it's your transportation, not your Lexus or your trendy auto-mobile.
and just because you don't feel guilty about the crazy things I get wrapped up in does not make you a bad person! really, it's just my issues.

Tim said...

just to put it into a philosophical perspective (because you know, that's the kind of jerk I am), one asteroid from out of no where and all your recycling and composting will mean fuck all. Good bye human civialisation. Now I'm not saying this is a reason to stop living your life the way you do or bitching out the Hummer and Escalade driving mother fuckers, just don't wig out about it. Chill Out, you know. It's nothing to be stressed about, just live your life the best way you see fit and fuck the cosmological consequences if there are any because a 10gigaton rock from beyond the Oort cloud could just as well destroy us all tomorrow. Look at the Dinosaurs. One minute, masters of their goddamn domain, next minute there's an ecological catostrophe and suddenly their way of life isn't suitable anymore and there's fuck all they can do about it.