I have a lot of heavy shit going through my mind right now, but it's way too much to process into something coherent, so I'm going to talk about rice instead.
I like to think that I'm generally a good cook. I've made awful things, sure, but my standards are generally awesome. I can invent things well, and I cover all sorts of cuisines in my cooking. I'm not afraid to do complicated things or use strange ingredients. And I thoroughly enjoy cooking, especially for people other than JP.
But I cannot, for the life of me, make rice.
I have tried on countless occasions and always ended up with some sort of soupy mixture or 3 inches of burned rice on the bottom of my pot. My mother-in-law took pity on me and bought me a rice cooker, so I thought my problems were solved. Until today. I went to make sushi rice to roll up some quick veggie sushi for Tim's Japanese dinner party. And I failed utterly because stupid me made basmati instead of actual sushi rice and it didn't absorb the mirin or rice vinegar and is now just a soupy mess. Argh.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Rice
Labels:
foodstuffs and cooking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment