Friday, February 23, 2007

nicoderm CQ doesn't lie when they say you'll have "vivid dreams"

a couple days ago, I decided to forgo nicotine lozenges and try the patch. I was tired of not being able to drink while I had one in my mouth and they last for about an hour and a half. that's a long time without drinking! and I had to keep up with them. I'd totally feel the withdrawal if I didn't. so the patch seemed easy. just stick it on, 24 hours later take it off, and put on a new one. repeat. not hard.
so I did all sorts of research and the side effects were essentially the same as any nicotine replacement system. except one. users may experience "vivid dreams" if you wear the patch at night.
normally, I don't dream all that much. if I do, I vaguely remember what the dream was about, but that's it. vivid dreams seemed like a kinda cool side effect to me.
yesterday, I got the patch. stuck it on around 11pm and eventually went to sleep.
I DREAMED ALL NIGHT LONG.
two separate dreams. one was a 2 parter too.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TIRED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.
I swear, getting 2 hours of sleep is more refreshing than this.

the first dream was rather mundane. we (no idea who this included other than me) were at a party, drinking with Ben Roethlisberger. except he was only 18. the party got busted by the cops, but of course, no one got in trouble since we were with Big Ben. I have no idea where this came from.

the next dream was much more involved. I was on my way to a Mary Kay party at Kathleen's and had to pick something up at my mother's house. when I got there, there was an impromptu baby shower going on (for who, I have no idea). my mother was annoyed because, apparently, all these people just showed up for a baby shower with no notice. so then I got to thinking and realized that I was missing another shower I was supposed to go to. I called Kathleen and told her I would be late because I had to go there. instead of going there, I went to Josh's mother's house for a party. it was a big crazy party with all sorts of people I didn't know. I was having a great time talking to everyone. her house was like a zoo. there were dogs and ferrets and cats and all sorts of animals everywhere. so I'm talking to this guy and we're talking about the animals. I guess he hadn't noticed all the animals, because once I mentioned it, he looks at me and then gets on his phone. to call the police. because he's a cop.
turns out she's illegally keeping animals there. chinchillas and mice and one of her dogs are all illegal animals. I wander outside and the police are coming and everyone is looking at me. they all know it's my fault. so I could've left then, but I couldn't find my car. I decided to 'fess up and apologize. so I go and talk to Josh's mom. she's pleased that I confessed, but understandably pissed that they're taking her pets away. and they've got them stored in one of those sets of plastic drawers. like the ones that you would use to organize nails and things? only with bigger drawers. one drawer is totally full of mice, there are 4 ferrets in another.
so I leave to find my car. and I find it...or so I think. there's a blue mazda protege 5 missing its license plate, taillights smashed in, stickers ripped off (in the exact place where there are stickers on my car), and something keyed into the side, which someone was nice enough to point out to me. then I look and there's a red bug parked in front of it. I took JP's car to the party! they totally destroyed the wrong car!
I get in the car with Lisa Mauti (the little sister of someone I went to high school with who works in my office now) and we drive to Kathleen's. it's a crazy drive, with lots of near accidents, but we get there.

so the dream gets deconstructed as follows:
1) Kathleen is actually having a Mary Kay party tonight, and it's going to be a tight squeeze taking the bus home, eating something, and picking up wine (not at my mother's house, though) to get there on time.
2) I did miss a baby shower last week. however, I was invited last minute and already had plans. I still feel guilty.
3) last night, I mentioned how I hadn't seen/talked to Josh in awhile. I feel guilty about this.
4) Josh's mom has 2 german shepherds, which I imagine is sorta like a zoo, though hardly as crazy as her house in my dream. I also owe her wedding pics of Josh and myself.
5) I need to get one of those plastic drawer things for my yarn.
6) my car is getting inspected and I'm afraid it's going to have problems. tonight, I have to take JP's car to Kathleen's.
7) the roads were sucky when I drove LeeAnn home last night.
8) I am apparently quite afraid of police.

how my subconscious put all that together like it did is beyond me.
I'll wear the patch to sleep tonight and see how it goes. if things don't improve, I'm taking it off at night.

1 comment:

Tim said...

One Correction and some Freudian Observation:

Where you say you don't dream that often, it should read, you don't remember your dreams that often. Everyone constantly dreams, even when they are awake, if you didn't you would go nuts.

Also, if you look at your dream in a classic freudian view, you have some kind of honesty/responsibility complex. In your dream you make a innocent remark about something obvious. All hell breaks loose and you are alone to blame because of this honest and completely innocous remark. The police represents authority which represent your father, who is your primary object of desire. Josh's mom represents the female and thus your mother, your primary object of competition. You confess your guilt of sucumbing to authority, your object of desire, to your mother, and thus are punished, your car, and object of pride and social status, is vandalized. But it's okay because it turns out it's not actually your car, representing denial and lack of responsibility. Had you accepted the fact that it was your car, in your dream, it would show the opposite, responsibility for your actions and acceptance of a situation.

you made a perfectly harmless observation, bad things happened because of it, you are blamed and feel guilty, apologize, get punished, but in the end dodge the punishment and thus ultimate responsiblity.

Also you want to have naughty animal sex with your dad.
You sick perv. You can't hide your dirty twisty desires from Freud. Freud knows all!